Recruiting: Lewis chooses Iowa State over Marquette, two others

Longtime Marquette target and Milwaukee native Terrence Lewis announced Tuesday at Milwaukee Riverside that he will be taking his talents to Iowa State.

Lewis listed many factors in choosing the Cyclones, including head coach Steve Prohm’s early interest in the Riverside University High School product.

“Iowa State was very loyal to me since Day One,” Lewis said. “(Prohm’s staff) called me every day to see how I’m doing, just having regular conversations.”

His AAU coach, Duane “Ike” Wilson Sr., also noted Prohm’s commitment to Lewis, mentioning that Prohm was at “pretty much every tournament we played in this summer.”  Wilson added, “He made his presence noticed.”

While Lewis opted not to take any official visits to prospective schools, he took two unofficial visits to Iowa State.  During his first unofficial visit to Ames, the Playground Elite prospect witnessed the 14th-ranked Cyclones upset the fourth-ranked Kansas Jayhawks.

Lewis said, “I was blown away walking into that big arena,” Lewis said regarding his first ISU visit. “I just wanted to get out on that floor.”

Marquette head coach Steve Wojciechowski, who offered Lewis right before the target left to attend an AAU tournament in Florida last month, did not host him for a visit but let him work out at the Al McGuire Center.

Regarding the Golden Eagles, Lewis said, “Marquette was there for me since day one too, so I appreciate their help.”

Wilson Sr., the father of Marquette junior Duane Wilson and former coach of Henry Ellenson and Sandy Cohen, said regarding the Blue and Gold, “Coach Wojo and his assistant coaches were there several times.”

“He thought hard about Marquette, but it’s hard to play in your home city.” Wilson said. “It’s a lot more pressure to play here.”

Lewis joins a long list of Milwaukee natives to call Iowa State home, including ex-Golden Eagles Deonte Burton and Jameel McKay.  

“I’m very good friends with Deonte Burton and Jameel McKay,” Lewis said.  “I took their advice and put it together.”

Other Recruiting News:

Melvindale, Mich., product Jamal Cain announced his final four schools– Michigan, Marquette, Florida State and Georgia.  247Sports’ composite rankings places Cain as the third-best recruit in Michigan, two spots ahead of Marquette commit Ike Eke but two spots below MU target Xavier Tillman.  Michigan appears to be the leading candidate to land the 6-foot-7 small forward.

Marquette’s visit schedule is beginning to take shape as power forward Theo John and small forward Xavier Tillman will officially visit campus the weekends of September 3 and September 23, respectively.

Recently-offered 2017 guard Darryl Morsell announced his final five schools; Marquette did not make the cut.