O’Donnell Hall scheduled to remain open, change to co-ed for 2016-’17 school year

The+66-year-old+residence+hall+will+not+only+remain+open+for+at+least+one+more+school+year+but+also+become+co-ed.+
The 66-year-old residence hall will not only remain open for at least one more school year but also become co-ed.

Photo by Photo by Rebecca Rebholz / rebecca.rebholz@marquette.edu

Marquette announced in a news brief May 23 that O’Donnell Hall will remain open to accommodate the incoming freshman class. It was also serve as a co-ed residence hall.

The university tuition deposit goal of 1,935 students was surpassed by receiving over 2,010 deposits, prompting the decision to keep the residence hall open.

While the enrollment rate will continue to fluctuate until school begins in the fall, Marquette wanted to ensure there was enough capacity on campus to handle the demand.

The university originally reported Feb. 5 that O’Donnell would close and receive evaluation as to how it fits in on campus as part of the master planning process. The director of Housing and Residence Life, Mary Janz, claimed there was enough space in other residence halls across campus to house next year’s students.

Marquette reports the building has already gone under evaluation. It will receive a series of upgrades throughout the summer with wireless technology and continuing to refurbish the lobby which began began last summer.

University leaders will continue their evaluation of the residence hall through next summer as part of the comprehensive planning process.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “O’Donnell Hall scheduled to remain open, change to co-ed for 2016-’17 school year”

1. Joe Kaiser on May 23rd, 2016 4:19 pm

No! Blow it up! We can do better!

[Reply]

2. Peter Collins on May 23rd, 2016 6:11 pm

BROdonnel will always be my trap house

[Reply]

3. Hayward Jones on July 26th, 2016 10:02 pm

Man I’m old back in the day when OD was all women’s dorm. Oh the memories.

[Reply]

• O’Donnell Hall scheduled to remain open, change to co-ed for 2016-’17 school year

Raynor Library’s starts “Passport Program” contest

Dentistry students help provide $1 million in services to those in need at Mission of Mercy event

New green space construction underway near AMU

Marquette agrees to comply with court ruling, raises precedent concerns

Aurora Health Care backs out of AHPRC deal

With no legislative fix in sight, Dreamers continue to support themselves

Fellowship creates opportunities for students

Law School poll reveals Foxconn support is divided

Study shows students hype up college rankings

Lunda Room to house Innovation Kitchen