Professors respond to possible D2L grade-posting requirement

Photo by Maryam Tunio
Photo by Maryam Tunio/[email protected]

University faculty from various colleges have opposing reactions to the possibility of being required to post all of their students’ grades on Desire2Learn.

Joan Whipp, a professor in the College of Education, said she finds D2L convenient and has not had any problems using it. When it comes to requiring a policy though, Whipp said she is hesitant.

“There are a variety of ways to communicate with students,” Whipp said. “Some professors might not feel comfortable using D2L.”

The current policy only requires professors to post a syllabus on D2L. Other content decisions, including grading decisions, are up to the discretion of the professor.

Although the resource is available, Barbara Silver-Thorn, a biomedical and mechanical engineering professor, and Sarah Miller, a professor in the College of Arts & Sciences, said the university should not have a policy mandating professors to post grades on D2L.

“It might be difficult for professors in big lecture classes to use,” Miller said.

Christine Shaw, a professor in the College of Nursing, said forcing faculty to use D2L may not be appropriate for all courses. She said faculty should be able to decide when to use D2L.

Journalism and Media Studies Professor Karen Slattery said D2L can do a lot of good things, but it is not useful for every class. Slattery said she prefers to give feedback by writing directly on the student’s paper.

“I think it’s fair for students to know what their grade is,” Slattery said. “I just think the feedback is better on paper.”

Management Professor John Cotton said feedback is what is most important when it comes to students.

“Faculty giving regular feedback is what should be required,” Cotton said. “This type of feedback needs to be both timely and regular.”

Cotton said one thing he struggles with is navigating D2L. He said more professors might use it if D2L worked better.

While some professors don’t use D2L regularly, others have found it as a convenient way to communicate with student’s online.

Shaw said she uses D2L in every one of her courses.

“It enhances students’ learning,” Shaw said. “Students have the power points before class. I can give them feedback on each question.”

Physical therapy professor Marie Bement has not received any feedback from students about her use of D2L in her classes.

“I use D2L,” Bement said. “It’s important for students to know where they are. But most students in general know where they are in the class.”

Bement said she makes sure to always give exams back in a timely manner and meet with students one-on-one if they struggle or ask for help.

While most of the university uses D2L, Patricia Cervenka, a professor in the Law School, said most law professors either use TWIN or Lexis Web course to post grades and assignments.

Cervenka said she has been using Lexis Web course for 20 years and decided to stick with Lexis, even after visiting sessions for D2L. Cervenka said legal research companies developed these two websites specially for law schools, thus the reason most law professors use them.