Golf impresses at home tournament

Gaugert, Farrell shoot one under par to lead MU
Photo by Maggie Bean
Photo courtesy of Maggie Bean/Marquette Athletics

The Marquette men’s golf team had the best outing of the season thus far, and finished fifth out of the eleven-team field as they hosted the Erin Hills Intercollegiate Golf Tournament this past week.

The Golden Eagles followed up their strong performances from last year, where they finished third overall, with this year’s 12-over-par performance.

The team was led by senior Zach Gaugert, who had not only his best performance of the season, but also of his collegiate career. He shot 1-under-par to finish tied for eighth overall.

Joining his senior teammate at the top was freshman Oliver Farrell, who achieved the same score as Gaugert in his first ever Erin Hills Invite. Farrell used an impressive three-under-par first round to propel him to his top ten finish.

Senior Nick Nelson was the only other Golden Eagle golfer who finished in the top 30. Nelson had a strong second round of a one-under-par to finish the tournament tied at 27th.

Marquette continued its trend of strong first round performances. The team ended the first round tied for fourth in the standings, but eventually dropped to their fifth place finish. The top three teams remained consistent as SMU (first), Oklahoma State (second) and UCLA (third) maintained their positions respectively for the duration of the tournament.

Redshirt senior C.J. Swift’s finished outside of the top 25 standings in a tournament for the first time this year, with an 11-over-par performance.

Marquette has several weeks before their next tournament in El Paso, Texas, where the Golden Eagles will compete in the Prices Give ‘Em Five Invitational on October 23.