Golf off to shaky start after seniors falter

The team had just one finisher in the top-25 individuals

CJ Swift led Marquette on a shaky scorecard for their first tournament of 2015-16. Photo courtesy Maggie Bean/Marquette Athletics

Photo by Maggie Bean

Photo by Maggie Bean

Photo by Maggie Bean

Jamey Schilling, andrew.schilling@mu.edu

The Marquette men’s golf team finished tied for tenth out of the 13 teams at the North Intercollegiate Golf Tournament in Sugar Grove, Illinois this weekend.

The result fell short of last year’s seventh-place finish at the same opening-weekend tournament. Only redshirt senior CJ Swift finished in the top-25 overall on the scorecard for the Golden Eagles with his 9-over-par 225.

The Golden Eagles began the third round tied for eighth, but a weak third round dropped them in the standings.

Senior Nick Nelson sat tied for eighth overall after the first round with an even score of 72, but after scoring 78 in both his second and third rounds however, he finished tied for 34th.

The most disappointing performance from the weekend came from senior leader Pat Sanchez, who capped off a miserable start to the season with a 12-over-par third round to finish 21-over for the tournament. Seniors Nick Nelson and Zach Gaugert finished 12-over and 13-over, respectively.

Marquette has one more tune-up, the Windon Memorial Classic on September 27 and 28, to fix their mechanics before hosting the Erin Hills Intercollegiate in early October.