Students displaced by Mashuda flooding expected to return this weekend

Students who were relocated after a pipe burst in Mashuda Hall over winter break may move back into the residence hall as early as this weekend.

The burst pipe flooded all seven floors of Mashuda and forced some students to remove their belongings and temporarily relocate to either overflow housing in McCormick Hall or moved within Mashuda.

Mary Janz, the director of residence life, said the goal is to have students return to Mashuda by the weekend.

“Each day we get closer to that goal,” Janz said in an email.

An email following the incident to Mashuda residents from Janz said Belfor, a property restoration company, has been on campus every day since the burst pipe discovery to help restore the building. Belfor worked with Facilities Services staff and other workers.

“University staff along with many external contractors have been onsite daily repairing the damaged rooms,” Janz said in an email.

Janz said subzero temperatures were the culprit.

In order to find the cause and prevent this in the future, the university is working with the engineers on campus.

“We are grateful for the response and understanding the affected students have demonstrated,” Janz said in the email.

Matthew Domalewski, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration and resident of Mashuda, said “the hallways are still super dusty and smell.” Domalweski then attributed the smell to the fact that the building is still “airing out.”

Janz and Staszewski will continue to provide updates to students and the university as they becomes available.

Update: This story was updated on Jan. 19 at 10:04 p.m. to include information regarding where students were relocated and an updated status of the repairs.