STAFF EDITORIAL: Recreational Services pumps out a bang for your buck

Fitter students and fatter wallets — a healthy compromise and much appreciated outcome of group fitness changes.

After objections were raised about pricey fitness class fees, long-awaited price reductions at the Rec Center and Rec Plex have arrived and are here to stay.

And with “Love Your Body Week” underway, students can enjoy working out with friends without excessive fees.

We’re glad the Department of Recreational Sports considered student concerns, especially after the Tribune’s Sept. 24 editorial “Marquette needs to restructure $50 group fitness classes,” in which the Tribune suggested creating a $20 all-access pass at the Rec.

Our requests have been met and surpassed with lower costs and free classes. Way to go, Recreational Sports!

Beginning this semester, Marquette Group Fitness offered two enrollment options for its more than 30 classes, ranging from high intensity Zumba Latin dancing and spinning to relaxing yoga and Pilates.

The improvements go one step further by also offering free classes each week, called Variety Fridays.

A class lasting six weeks (12 classes) now costs $25 for students.

Alternatively, a 15-class punch card for $15 lasts four weeks following Spring Break. Starting next week, punch cards can be purchased throughout the remainder of the semester, giving students the opportunity to participate in a variety of classes.

Compared to the former $50 flat rate for 10 weeks, the new options show considerable savings.

Section A averages out to $2.08 per class as opposed to the past average of $2.50 per class.

To get even more bang for their buck, students pay only $1 per class with the $15 punch card.

And the no-cost Variety Fridays is the best deal, hands down. Once again, the department managed to slash costs, responding to students’ needs.

In its first few weeks of operation, the new system has seen improved attendance and received positive feedback, according to Shannon Bustillos, assistant director of Recreational Sports.

Increased participation in fitness classes will not only benefit the student body (pun intended), but also will show the need for recreational facility expansion, proposed by MUSG.

The changes implemented by Marquette Group Fitness have shown and will continue to show a positive response from the student body.

With all this positivity circulating, hopefully the administration will place a priority on personal health and provide necessary improvements to our fitness facilities. That’s change we can lunge for.