MUSG introduces electronic ID resolution

The resolution is still in the review stage, needing to go through the Business and Administration committee before being voted on.
The resolution hopes to provide access to electronic ID’s for all students and staff. Marquette Wire stock photo.

A potential resolution on electronic IDs was introduced on Marquette University Student Government’s session on Jan. 25.

As opposed to a bill, a resolution does not lay out a plan of action or have any manifest effect, where a bill has a plan of action. The legislation must be voted on by MUSG and the opportunity to work with administration.

Electronic IDs Bill

Abbottsford Hall Senator and first-year student Jacob Ricard also announced an in-progress resolution that would declare MUSG support for electronic IDs. These electronic IDs, Ricard said, would function similarly to most electronic ticket systems. They would be stored on a sort of digital wallet, and students would be able to tap their phones to scan in.

“We’re just trying to get a lot of student support and express a want of students,” Ricard said. “Most Jesuit institutions in major urban areas, they all have digital ID’s. It’s been a very big trend with many schools moving towards digital IDs.”

Such a bill would bring Marquette in alignment with Xavier University, Georgetown, Saint Joseph’s, Fordham, Santa Clara and UW-Milwaukee, whose students have access to their IDs via a digital app.

Ricard said that if there are any provision or thoughts students had, they should express it to either him or their representative. With the bill still being in review, this would be the time, Ricard said, for constituents to speak with their MUSG representatives.

“Advocacy always plays a major part in getting policy done. Talk about issues, speak to your representative, and share information on social media,” Ricard said.

This story was written by Allan fox. He can be reached at [email protected].