Dining Hall Specialties

As a new student, or returning student, it can be difficult to step onto campus and know where to go to get your favorite — or even try something new! With four different dining halls across campus, including The Annex and Marquette Place, there is always something for everyone — but each dining hall has its own specialty.
Photo by Kirsten Lyons
Hot Cookie Night Monday’s at Cobeen Hall.

As a new student, or returning student, it can be difficult to step onto campus and know where to go to get your favorite meal  or even try something new! With four different dining halls across campus, including The Annex and Marquette Place, there is always something for everyone — but each dining hall has its own specialty. Whether it is a meal they constantly have, or a day fully dedicated to it, there’s no doubt students will be walking across campus to get it.

The Commons

The Commons is the largest dining hall on campus, with its numerous stations there is something for everyone. Although many of the stations remain the same, one station in particular is constantly changing. This station specializes in bringing in local food from around the Milwaukee area to the Marquette campus for students to try and enjoy. From sushi to Mexican to plant-based, this section prides itself on bringing in all sorts of variety.

Cobeen

Cobeen hosts what is easily one of the most popular food nights on campus every Monday night, with students walking across campus just for a taste of its hot cookies. Some prefer to eat the cookie by itself and enjoy the warmth it brings them, while others like to top theirs with ice cream to create a blend of flavors.

Schroeder

Even with their short breakfast hours of 7:15-9:30, Schroeder has still managed to win over the hearts  and stomachs   of many students with a dining hall breakfast like no other. It could be its smoothies or breakfast sandwiches. With its various fruit smoothie flavors and different types of sandwiches, it’s a great breakfast for a quick grab and go on your way to class.

At least once a month this dining hall brings back its one-of-a-kind burger that easily tops an average burger from any of the other three dining areas. The McSchroeder burger is a play on the iconic BigMac with its two burgers with a bun separating the various toppings, from lettuce, pickles, cheese and anything else your tastebuds desire.

Straz

Although this dining hall can be considered a “hike across the bridge” by many students, the food there is like no other. No matter the day of the week, Straz serves a build-your-own stir fry bar, filled with rice, noodles, vegetables and your choice of meat. Everything is freshly made right in front of you, allowing you to make your bowl especially unique with all your favorites.

In addition to its  consistent stir fry station, it is also the only place on campus which has Hot Pretzel Nights. On these days students can walk in and eat as many pretzel bites as they would like, whether they prefer them salted, unsalted or with cinnamon and sugar.

The Annex

Although The Annex is not a traditional dining hall, it is a place where students can go up to twice a week to enjoy a restaurant style meal. With a menu full of options, students are able to decide on what they want to eat, with many of the options not being available in the traditional dining halls. From items that can be ordered with a meal swipe to items that can be bought with dining dollars or Marquette Cash, The Annex serves as not only a place to get a specialty meal, but also a popular hangout spot.

Seating at The Annex. (Photo by Kirsten Lyons)

Marquette Place

Inside the Alumni Memorial Union is the home to Marquette Place, an area full of local hotspots that are only a meal swipe away. From sandwiches to bagels to Ian’s Pizza, students can get a meal five days a week with a simple tap of their ID. In addition to the consistent teriyaki, grill and Mexican stations, there is a local company or food special every day.

This story was written by Lauren Puthoff. She can be reached at [email protected].