Fall weather inspires ideas for cozy indoor activities

Photo by Zach Bukowski
The leaves are beginning to change color as the temperature starts to drop.

As the leaves are beginning to change color from green to orange and red, and the temperature is beginning to drop, it can only mean one thing: Fall is on its way. Whether it is watching scary movies in honor of Halloween or buying pumpkin spice lattes, students shared many seasonal activities they enjoy.

Elizabeth Colligan, a first-year student in the College of Arts & Sciences, said she believes the fall season offers lots of fun and cozy activities to do, including visiting apple orchards, watching football and getting ready for the winter season.

“One of the best things to do in the fall is to be outside appreciating the weather,” Colligan said. “Fall is great because it’s finally sweater weather and the temperature is just right, because it’s not too hot and not too cold.” 

Fall also directly coincides with football season, which some Marquette students said is the best part of autumn.

“Playing football in the fall is a good time because there is a nice chill wind in my face that makes it the perfect environment to toss a ball around in,” Joe Salemme, a first-year student in the College of Arts & Sciences, said. “There’s just something relaxing and distracting about the weather that takes me away from any problems going on.”

However, Ella Uylaki, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, said she loves doing indoor activities during the fall season.

Uylaki said she enjoys doing crafts like painting and card-making, but her favorite thing to do in cold weather is bake.

Although Uylaki said she does not consider herself to be a highly skilled baker, she still finds it very enjoyable.

“I’m not really that good at baking, but it’s something that I like to do a lot,” Uylaki said. “You can do it with your friends or you could bake for your friends and then give it to them.”

She said sharing baked goods is also a good way to stay close to loved ones, especially due to the pandemic.

“(Baking) is a nice thing to do, especially with COVID-19 and being in quarantine,” Uylaki said. “Maybe you cannot be with your friends, but you can bake things for them.”

She said her favorite thing to bake is lavender muffins, but she also enjoys baking breads and holiday cookies.

This story was written by Ryan Lynch. He can be reached at [email protected].