Total enrollment down for the Class of 2023, College of Communication on the rise

The Class of 2023 consists of 1,975 students, 225 fewer students than last year, according to preliminary data provided by the Office of Institutional Research and Analysis. 

“I would not characterize the number of admitted students as significantly lower. While the number of admitted students is lower than last year, our enrollment figures are within our normal target range,” Brian Troyer, dean of undergraduate admissions, said.

Over 15,000 students completed applications for inclusion in the Class of 2023. This number has stayed in the same range for the last two years, according to OIRA data. 

“In an effort to maintain the consistency of quality among our incoming students, we have not attempted to become more selective, per se,” Troyer said. “Our goal is to attract as large of a talented and diverse applicant pool as we can and then admit those students whom we believe have the capacity for success at Marquette University.”

First-generation college students constitute 23% of admitted students, and students of color make up 29%.

“We are incredibly pleased with the academic quality and racial diversity of this year’s incoming class, two measures we will continue to strive for each year,” Troyer said. 

The number of admitted students from Wisconsin has risen in the last few years, according to OIRA data. Students coming from southeastern Wisconsin, including Milwaukee, Racine, Kenosha and Waukesha Counties, rose 26% last year and saw another 4% bump up this year. 

Troyer explained that the greater percentage of our incoming class from Wisconsin is due to lower numbers from Illinois, while the actual number of students from Wisconsin stayed about the same. 

“The Illinois marketplace has grown increasingly competitive, yet it remains our number one feeder state, followed by Wisconsin,” Troyer said. “We believe it is important to attract a geographically-diverse population of students seeking a transformational Catholic and Jesuit education.”

The university also enrolls students from 42 states, including Minnesota, Missouri, California, Michigan, Massachusetts and other states and territories.

The College of Communication was the only college to experiencing an increase, showing consistent growth over the past few years. Enrollment is up 11% from last year and 25% from 2017, Laura Schram, the college’s student success and recruitment coordinator, said.

Schram said she believes the rise in enrollment may be due to the effort faculty and staff have made to make department visits and tours welcoming and fun.

“During each tour we added a new welcome message in our student lounge welcoming each visitor by adding their name to our monitors,” Schram said. “Students will take selfies with their sign.” 

A student who tours the College of Communication also visits the newly-renovated student media spaces and gets the opportunity to create an interactive experience in the virtual set. 

“Sending the student photos of their visit, using state-of-the-art equipment creates an experience where they can picture themselves here at Marquette,” Schram said. “Individual attention makes people feel special, which goes a long way.”