University Academic Senate discusses enrollment and Democratic National Convention

Discussions about the ombuds occurred during the academic senate meeting Oct. 21. Marquette Wire Stock Photo

The University Academic Senate discussed new undergraduate minors, faculty searches, endowment funds and unionization April 15 in the Alumni Memorial Union Ballrooms at 3 p.m.

The senate was called to order by Michelle Mynlieff, a professor in the College of Health Sciences, followed by a reflection by Acting Dean of the College of Communication Sarah Feldner.

Acting Provost Kimo Ah Yun said listening sessions for the new provost have concluded.

“The hope is to have a provost hired by Nov. 1, of course, that’s always open as the process moves forward,” Ah Yun said.

Additionally, Ah Yun said the goal to hire a dean for the College of Business Administration should conclude in December and a dean for College of Arts & Sciences should be hired by Jan. 1, 2020.

Ah Yun said April 15 was a “big day” regarding enrollment because it’s typically when 50 percent of the incoming class has committed, and 50 percent more will be committed up until May 1.

“Our goal is 2,077 (students). Our number as of today is 1,197,” Ah Yun said. Enrollment is currently at 57 percent of the university’s goal.

Ah Yun said he talked to the enrollment manager at Marquette, who said the enrollment looks like it will be over 1,900.

Ah Yun said the next two weeks will be “fast and furious” because the most enrollment will be seen then.

John Su, vice provost for academic affairs, announced a new minor in Italian literature and culture.

“This is a neat, new minor that was pieced together by a variety of undergraduate students themselves over the years,” Su said.

Tim McMahon, vice president for university advancement, talked of a $750 million campaign that is currently in its third private year.

“Right now, we are in the quiet phase of a $750 million comprehensive campaign,” McMahon said. “It is an eight-year endeavor and we are in year three. The plan is, and the intention will be, we will have one more year of this private phase and launch this campaign in October 2020.”

McMahon said this is not a campaign that addresses capital projects alone, it’s meant to be a comprehensive campaign that addresses the university’s strategic plan.

Milwaukee will be hosting the Democratic National Convention in at Fiserv Forum July 13-16 2020. Feldner said there will be five subcommittees for the Democratic National Convention, including academic, facilities, operations, communication and security.

Students can get involved, but they won’t necessarily be sitting on a subcommittee, Feldner said.

University spokesperson Lynn Sheka said the university is starting to get calls from media and other entities that can stay and host events at Marquette outside of the DNC.

“Part of the reason that we have this steering committee is to really centralize all the requests coming in from a revenue generation standpoint, but also from a standpoint of whether they fit with our mission and how we can make sure we are equipped from a security standpoint,” Sheka said.

At the end of the meeting, the senate decided to table a statement for their next meeting May 6 on the recent call from university faculty to create a union.