Men’s lacrosse falls to No. 12 Notre Dame

Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics

A season ago, Marquette men’s lacrosse led Notre Dame 6-5 with under a minute to play. But the Fighting Irish tallied two goals in the final 42 seconds to defeat the Golden Eagles.

This time, the final outcome was the same but in blowout fashion, as Marquette fell to No. 12 Notre Dame 13-6 Wednesday.

MU has still never defeated the Fighting Irish, now holding an 0-8 all-time record against the Fighting Irish.

The first half was back-and-forth, resulting in a 4-4 tie at halftime. The Irish totaled 14 turnovers in the first two quarters.

The second half was a disaster for the Golden Eagles, as Notre Dame went on a 8-0 run in the third and fourth quarters. Marquette scored just twice in the final two quarters.

Senior Bob Pelton and redshirt senior Tanner Thomson led MU with two goals. Graduate student Andrew Romagnoli and junior Peter Henkhaus each added one.

Sophomore John Hulsman made seven saves and gave up 13 goals. The Golden Eagles greatly struggled on faceoffs, going a combined 7-of-23 at the X.

For Notre Dame, Bryan Costabile had four goals, Morrison Mirer added two, and seven other players tallied a score. Jack Zullo made 12 saves and only allowed six goals.

Marquette (6-5, 2-1 BIG EAST) has its penultimate BIG EAST matchup Saturday, taking on Providence at 11 a.m. Central Standard Time.