Graduate nursing student killed in crash near Racine

Marquette University graduate student Allison Olesinski  died around 1:21 p.m. Oct. 16  in a collision involving a semi-tractor trailer while she was driving an SUV on Highway 20 in Racine County, according to an article published in the Racine Journal Times. 

Olesinski was a student of the College of Nursing’s satellite Pleasant Prairie campus.

A native of Green Bay, Wisconsin, the 23-year-old completed her undergraduate studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison where she was a member of the rowing team, according to a university email.

The crash occurred just west of the intersection of Highway 20 and Sharp Road, near Lakeview Specialty Hospital and Rehab and the Dover Stables equestrian center, according to the Journal Times article.

Olesinski suffered massive traumatic injuries, and responders pronounced her dead at the scene, according to a news release from the Racine County Sheriff’s Office. The driver of the semi was reportedly not injured. Neither alcohol nor drugs are believed to be factors in the crash, the release said.

In a university email, University President Michael Lovell said, “Those who knew Allison and were touched by her presence at Marquette will continue to keep memories of her warm and vibrant in the days ahead.”