Newly constructed Henke Terrace behind 707 Hub open for use

Shane Hogan & Clara Janzen
Mary+Henke+blesses+the+Henke+Terrace+at+the+grand+opening+Oct.+5.+
Mary Henke blesses the Henke Terrace at the grand opening Oct. 5.

The Henke Terrace, a new outdoor courtyard located behind the 707 Hub and designed by students and staff who work there, debuted Oct. 5 as part of last week’s Homecoming celebrations.

The space features colorful seating and space for study and relaxation.

The new additions were made possible through resources and inspiration from Mary Henke, a former trustee who served the 12 years on the Board of Trustees. She is also the President of the Gordon Henke Family Foundation, named for her late husband.

The organization has been a long-time supporter of many projects and initiatives at Marquette University, according to the Marquette University Alumni website.

University President Michael Lovell said the terrace will feature innovative spaces for collaboration, as well as fire pits to allow students to work outside nearly year-round. 

The terrace was named after Henke due to her constant service to the university and her devotion to students and their passions, Lovell said.

Henke said she came up with the idea when she walked past the building and noticed the unused space.  

“This place is over and above my expectations. I look forward to seeing it grow,” Henke said.

Megan Carver, associate director of the Kohler Center for Entrepreneurship located in the 707 Hub, said that students and staff have been working on the plans for the terrace since last spring.

“We spent an entire semester interviewing students and drawing designs based off of what they said,” Carver said.

“I can’t thank Mary enough. She’s so generous with her time and resources. We like to refer to her as Sister Mary,” Lovell said.

Henke said the terrace has a special place in her heart in honor of her late husband Gordon.

“He really would have loved to be here. He loved meeting new people and making a difference in his community through sharing his resources,” Henke said. 

Carver said it means so much to have a donor who shares the vision of those working at the Hub.

“Mary understands what students are capable of and wants to engage with students,” she said. “We’re fortunate to be working with someone like her.”

Kyla Mae Corbie, a senior in the College of Business Administration and an intern in the 707 Hub, said the terrace is a great place for people to get fresh air and some inspiration from nature. 

“The sky’s literally the limit with this space. You can’t be creative in just one place, so I’m glad the outdoor space is now open,” Corbie said.

“What I love the most about the 707 Hub and our new terrace is what happens inside this space,” Lovell said. “It’s student-driven and a place for students be creative.”