Hot Cookie Night at Cobeen increases Homecoming hype

Students+with+and+without+the+meal+plan+enjoyed+hot+cookies+at+Cobeen+Hall+Tuesday+night.+
Photo by Emma Dill
Students with and without the meal plan enjoyed hot cookies at Cobeen Hall Tuesday night.

At Cobeen Dining Hall, mouths watered, lines formed and staff passed free hot cookies out to all students Oct. 2 in honor of Marquette Homecoming Week.

A popular tradition at Marquette, Hot Cookie Night consists of hundreds of students pouring into various dining halls to get a bowl filled with a just-cooked, warm chocolate chip cookie. Typical cookie nights are hosted by Cobeen on Thursdays, The Commons on Mondays and Straz Tower on Wednesdays.

Megan Kading, a freshman in the College of Health Sciences, has been going to cookie nights since the very first one hosted this year. Kading said she instantly loved the event and that it has become a staple in her week.

“Everyone’s always excited about (Hot Cookie Night),” Kading said. “It’s why I get up on Mondays. I am very passionate about hot cookies. …  Even if you don’t think you’ll like it, you have to try it.”

Cobeen hosted a very special Hot Cookie Night this past Tuesday, opening its doors to students with or without a meal plan. Upperclassmen who are usually deprived of hot cookie nights were able to eat their fill.

“You don’t need a meal plan, you can just come right in. So it’s free. It’s just the cookie and the ice cream,” said Rachel Steps, coordinator of residence life programs.

Steps has been coordinating the Homecoming Hot Cookie Night for the past two years. She said that while the taste of the cookies plays a part in drawing students back for another Hot Cookie Night, the bright atmosphere definitely plays a major role as well.

“Homecoming Hot Cookie Night is absolutely more popular than regular Hot Cookie Night. There’s a ton of people here. … It’s pretty fun, especially if you don’t have a meal plan, (to) come back and reminisce.”

On top of being free and available to all students, Marquette University President Lovell and his wife serve cookies on Homecoming Hot Cookie Night. Complete with an apron and hairnet, one can spot the president behind a table passing out cookies and chatting with students.

“This is my third time for Hot Cookie Night. I love interacting with the students (while I) pass things out to them. Many students who haven’t had cookies in a while get to have one and they are usually pretty excited about it. People are happy,” Lovell said.

If students have not had an opportunity to meet President Lovell, Homecoming Hot Cookie Night is the perfect chance to get to know him. Students from all corners of campus flock to Cobeen to dine on delicious cookies and socialize.

Lovell said the event plays a key role in increasing the Homecoming hype because students are able to discuss plans and activities they are interested in.

“This is really the first event of Homecoming,” Lovell said. “I’ve heard people talking about the concerts. I think (Hot Cookie Night) helps increase awareness.”