KORENICH: Alternative medicine beneficial but often overlooked

Alternative medicine includes nontraditional practices like herbalism, homeopathy and acupuncture. Although it is often debated whether these type of medicines work, it can be worth a try and can certainly be lighter on the wallet.

Alternative medicine should be less overlooked and should be at least offered in various medical situations. I am not saying it should always be the first choice when dealing with serious diseases like cancer or Alzheimer’s, discretion should be used. But it can be a helpful tool for dealing with things like stress relief, stomach aches or the common cold. This can be especially beneficial for college students because the remedies are cheaper than traditional medicines and doctors.

For example, essential oils can be an easy way to boost energy levels, support digestion, improve brain function and more. Each essential oil has a specific purpose and can be applied to pressure points or diffused into a room. Peppermint oil, for example, can help to reduce stomach aches or soothe digestion by applying a dab on the stomach. Frankincense can help to reduce stress reactions and boost immune system function.

Essential oils vary in price by brand but can be as cheap as $2.50. They also last a long time because only a few drops are needed for each application. For a price this small, it doesn’t hurt to try it out. If it happens to not work since everyone’s body is different, this is better than dropping a lot of money for a prescription drug that may have harmful side effects.

Another type of alternative medicine is crystal healing therapy. This involves placing gemstones on the body to draw out certain negative energies. Crystal healing uses certain stones to cure ailments or protect against disease. It is not always necessary to have the gemstones placed on the body. Some people find comfort in just carrying certain stones around with them.

For example, Shungite can be used to soothe anxiety and speed up the detoxification process. It is also recommended to place this stone near electronics to diminish the effects of electromotive forces. Citrine is a stone that can help individuals manifest things into reality. By placing a piece of this stone on top of a list of manifestations, it can help to bring them into reality much quicker.

Acupuncture is a type of alternative medicine that is more well-known. This involves inserting thin needles into various points on the body. Acupuncture is a key component of traditional Chinese medicine. Acupuncture is often times used to treat chronic pain as well as headaches and migraines. Doctors stimulate specific points on the body in the hopes that it will reduce the pain. Acupuncture is also relatively safe. The majority of side effects occur when acupuncturists use needles that are not sterile or are not trained well, which can damage organs. This can be avoided easily by researching doctors and going to someone who is well-trained.

Herbalism is the use of botany and plants for healing purposes. Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory agent and can help with improving circulation on joints. Ginseng can help with weakness and exhaustion. Finally, oats can help aid in sleep as well as general well-being.

Too many antibiotics can cause a resistance which has very negative consequences, but this doesn’t happen with this kind of nontraditional medicine.

Alternative medicine may seem strange at first glance, and that may be why it is often overlooked. It is something many people are not accustomed to or may not have even heard of before.

This type of medicine should be less overlooked. It is inexpensive and can help with a lot of daily ailments. For those really affected by stress, like students, a simple oil could be a cheap fix. Before turning away from alternative medicine completely, do research. It might be a great fit.