HERSHMAN: AJR, Fitz and the Tantrums raised bar for future homecoming concerts

Photo by Photo courtesy of Atlantic Records
Fitz and the Tantrums handclap their way to Homecoming.

Saturday, the weather was dreary with rain. Miraculously, the weather turned around with the sun finally peaking through. Similarly, I kept in high spirits and was as eager as ever for the 2017 homecoming concert.

Before Fitz and the Tantrums took the stage, the show started with New York-based indie pop band AJR. All I knew of them previously was that the group consisted of three brothers from New York and that they mixed their own music together. Their music, to me, seemed to give out a vibe of electronic and pop music. This was their first time performing  at Marquette and I can confidently say that I would see them again.

AJR got me excited and even more pumped up with their pop and dubstep mixed songs. It was evident that the three brothers put so much work into their craft by their carefully and strategically mixed songs, blending so many different beats and instruments together.

Not only could I tell they worked hard to perfect their sound, but they most definitely wanted to put together a great show for us and I thought that they really interacted with us in the crowd. They even included a Marquette themed remix.

Each song had me jumping up and down nonstop. The eccentric dress of the group from the lead singer’s fur hat and more had me so intrigued that I continually wanted to hear more from the band. One aspect that I appreciated from the band was the comedic banter they had among themselves, and the enthusiasm they had from playing for the university.

Podcast by Ian Schrank

Fitz and the Tantrums finally made their long awaited appearance. The pop group from Los Angeles formed in 2008 consisted of Michael Fitzpatrick, Noelle Scaggs, James King, Joseph Karnes, Jeremy Ruzumna and John Wicks.

Fitz and the Tantrums was introduced by President Lovell, who had as much energy as expected. The band started off with an upbeat and high energy song.

I thought that the vocals were on point and the stage presence was something to behold. The  highlight of the night was when they performed their well-known song “Hand Clap.” My hands were constantly clapping with the song. I was not standing still for even a second.

Previously I had heard a lot of good comments about the band and their live sets, but I can for sure say that the group exceeded my expectations. They hit every aspect that makes a live performance great. They had it all from the vocals, energy to their chemistry.

This homecoming concert was definitely one to remember and I think it has set the bar high for ones in the future.

The high energy throughout the crowd and great talent of the performers made for an unforgettable night. I appreciated the mix of the well-known and more of up-and-coming bands in the line up. I liked that I was able to learn new music, but also listen to some familiar tunes. All the performances left me thinking that the bands picked for this years homecoming were the perfect fit.