Volleyball takes down Providence in straight sets

Photo by Maggie Bean

Coming off an emotional upset against Creighton, Marquette volleyball did what it had to do against the Providence Friars, winning 25-13, 25-23, 25-21.

The Golden Eagles began the first set strong with a 7-0 lead, forcing Providence to call timeout. Following the timeout, Marquette extended its lead to 17-10, resulting in another Friar timeout. The stoppage did little good, as Marquette would take the set 25-13, leaving Providence scrambling for answers after posting a dismal -.029 hitting percentage.

Marquette lost some momentum in the second set, allowing Providence to take a 9-5 lead. The Golden Eagles rallied and eventually tied the set at 23 on a kill from middle blocker Jenna Rosenthal, then went on to take the frame 25-23.

“We wanted (Rosenthal) to be able to be physical and try to out-physical everybody,” Theis said. “She’s got a pretty big size advantage. We thought she could have a big match and she did.”

In the third set, Marquette and Providence started out neck and neck, with the Golden Eagles clinging to a 14-12 lead midway through the set. Following a Providence timeout, sophomore Allie Barber picked up three of her 15 kills, helping to extend the Golden Eagle lead to 23-18. The Friars called for another stoppage in play, but it didn’t do much good. Marquette would secure the set 25-21 after a Providence net violation.

With an eight-game winning streak in hand, Marquette will head out east next weekend for matches at Villanova Saturday and Georgetown Sunday.