Women’s soccer falls 2-0 to No. 7 Georgetown

Connor Basch

Sunday’s match against No. 7 Georgetown saw a number of streaks come to an end for Marquette women’s soccer: their four match win streak, their three match shutout streak, their seven match streak of scoring the first goal and their six match home unbeaten streak.

The Golden Eagles 2-0 loss to the Hoyas was only their second multi-goal loss of the season.

“I thought it was mixed,” head coach Markus Roeders said. “It was a tale of two halves. I didn’t think we played particularly well in the first half. … The second half was much better.”

Amanda Carolan was the lone goal scorer in the match, scoring one goal in each half.

In the 27th minute she found the ball at her feet in the box, turned and fired a low shot into the net at the near post.

The sophomore scored her seventh goal of the season in the 49th minute when Grace Damaska’s low cross made it’s way to the back post, where Carolan knocked it in with ease.

The contest took a crucial turn before Georgetown recorded their first tally. Liz Bartels scored the first goal of the match only to have it called off for a handball.

“That was a bummer,” Bartels said. “Georgetown’s a great team so just getting that step ahead of them, right away with an early goal would just help our team relax a little bit.”

The senior forward beat Arielle Schechtman to a bouncing ball in the Georgetown box, swiping it from her at the last second. However, the referee deemed Bartels’ hand to have touched the ball in the process, negating the pivotal goal.

Bartels was able to put three shots on frame in the second half though, all of which we denied Georgetown’s seemingly prescient goalkeeper.

“We kind of let that one slip away so hopefully we can see them again like later in the tournament or something,” Bartels said.

Maddy Henry’s shutout streak ended at 336:50. The freshman made three saves on the day.

Schechtman made six saves to earn the shutout for the Hoyas.

Marquette falls to 8-6-2 (4-2-0) on the season.

The Golden Eagles still have plenty to play for, with first-place DePaul losing on Sunday as well. The top four teams in the BIG EAST are now within four points of each other.

“We have everything to play for,” Roeders said. “We can play and beat anybody in this league… but we have to show up for 90 minutes and if we don’t do that then we can’t ask to win.”

Marquette heads to Villanova (3-12-0, 1-5-0) for the Golden Eagles’ final road game of BIG EAST play.