Well rounded block party kicks off Marquette Madness

Photo by Photo by Andrew Himmelberg

“To reignite tradition” — The motto of Homecoming week is loud and clear as the campus is fully outfitted for this week’s festivities. With signs and banners posted on buildings, light poles and walking paths, students are reminded of the fun that is to come.

However, this week is more than just fun. It is a week to unite as a campus and bond over Marquette pride. The upcoming Block Party, held this Friday, Oct. 7from 3-7 p.m. in Parking Lot F, is just one way in which students, faculty and alumni can celebrate.

“We hope that through Homecoming there is something for everyone based on their interests and passions,” said Stacy Mitz, executive director of alumni association and assistant vice president for engagement. 

As a precursor to Marquette Madness, the block party involves multiple interests. The block party will host food vendors, such as Miss Katies’s Diner and Sodexo dining. Students can use Marquette cash at certain vendors.

Students and alumni can take part in knock-out basketball, located on 12th Street; stunt jump (a ladder that leads to a platform that you can jump off of safely onto an air pad on the ground, much like a stunt from a film); a rock climbing wall; zip line and even a beer garden for those of age.

“We want students, alumni and the community to celebrate in a larger way,” Taylor Shult, the assistant engagement director, said.

In order to elicit such a celebration, the team that planned Homecoming aimed to make it a special event for everyone who attends.

“This event is unique and special,” Mitz said. “The block party is an event that occurred for decades within homecoming, so it has that tradition factor for alumni.”

While students enjoy Marquette Madness, the block party incorporates a feeling of the past by offering older, traditional activities like autographs from athletes and even a big screen showing of Marquette Madness for those who choose to stay outside.

“I am really looking forward to the block party this year because I feel like it’s a great way to gather all of the students at one central spot before Marquette Madness,” Emily Wallschlaeger, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration, said. “In the past it was just Marquette Madness which stood alone, now there is an entire week leading to a block party to really unite and pump everyone up for the upcoming basketball season.”

Shultz said that gaining multiple perspectives was vital to creating these events.

“When planning this event, we tried to collaborate with every department and the campus in order to have a cohesive event,” Shultz said.

In particular, MUSG was instrumental in the execution as a voice for students.

“MUSG and student leadership, committed volunteers along with student support created an event that will allow everyone to be involved and celebrate,” Mitz said. “The entire week is created for students to find ways to incorporate their passions with school spirit.”