Women’s soccer earns draw at No. 22 Santa Clara

Photo by Maggie Bean
Morgan Proffitt scored Marquette’s lone goal, her second of the year.

Marquette women’s soccer fought back to earn a 1-1 draw at No. 22 Santa Clara Thursday night.

Santa Clara took control in the 55th minute with a penalty kick goal. Erin Holland slid in late, taking a Bronco attacker down in the box. Jordan Jesolva sent Maddy Henry the wrong way and slotted the ball home from the penalty spot to make it 1-0.

Marquette responded quickly with a pair of chances from Ashley Handwork in the 58th and 59th minute, forcing freshman goalkeeper Courtney Ogren, a halftime substitution, into a pair of saves.

Just five minutes later Liz Bartels earned a free kick outside of the 18-yard box on the left sideline, allowing freshman Emily Hess to fire a cross beyond the reach of the goalkeeper. Molly Pfeiffer headed the ball to Morgan Proffitt, who was unmarked just three yards away from an empty net. Proffitt headed it home to even things up 1-1.

Santa Clara looked sharp in the first half, generating a pair of chances in the 36th and 40th minutes. Henry watched an open header go just wide of her net, before Madison Dunker slid in to disrupt an attack that drew Henry off her line.

Marquette’s only chance in the first half was an 18th minute solo effort from Liz Bartels. The senior found space down the left side, but lost the ball trying to cut it back for a shot in the box where there were three defenders and no other attackers.

Santa Clara jumped out early in the second half, sending in a dangerous cross in the 54th minute, just before they drew the penalty.

The Broncos’ best chance to go ahead came in the 82nd minute, but freshman Maddy Henry got off the line quickly, diving to snatch a great through ball of the feet of the opposing forward.

The Golden Eagles had a great chance of their own three minutes later. Hess played a perfectly weighted ball through the defense for Handwork, who slipped right as she looked poised to fire it past the charging keeper.

There was no shortage of goal scoring chances, but both keepers were solid, forcing overtime.

The game continued to open up in the extra period, and it was Marquette who came out strong, creating a number of great opportunities.

Bartels sent Handwork through in the 97th minute for the best chance of the night. Handwork positioned herself perfectly to knock it home, but her right-footed attempt missed the net by less than a foot.

In the second overtime both teams failed to convert on dangerous crosses and the fatigue looked like it had finally set in. In the end, both teams settled for the draw.

Marquette’s last five goals have come from set pieces: two from corners, two from free kicks and one from the penalty spot.

For the fourth time in five games, Marquette’s opponent scored first.

Proffitt’s tally made her the first Golden Eagle to score a second goal this season. Pfeiffer, Hess, Bartels and Powell have one each.

Marquette will stay in California for a few more days before taking on No. 2 Stanford (4-0) Sunday in Palo Alto at 3 p.m. central time. Stanford knocked off BIG EAST favorites Georgetown 3-0 earlier this season. The Cardinal also earned a 2-1 win over Wisconsin Thursday night.

Stanford boasts two players on the MAC Hermann Watch List in senior goalkeeper Jane Campbell and junior midfielder Andi Sullivan. The program won its first national title in women’s soccer in 2011 after runner-up finishes in 2009 and 2010.