BIG EAST Tourney on the line on women’s lacrosse senior day

Marquette Women's Lacrosse vs. Notre Dame

Photo by Maggie Bean

Photo by Maggie Bean

Photo by Maggie Bean

Thomas Salinas, thomas.salinas@mu.edu

Marquette women’s lacrosse will honor its first graduating senior class this weekend with postseason hopes on the line. The Golden Eagles will host Cincinnati with a chance to earn the program’s first BIG EAST Tournament berth.

“It’s crazy how far we have come since freshman year,” senior goalie Emma Salter said. “It’s definitely going to be emotional on Friday.”

A win on senior night does not automatically give the Golden Eagles a berth in the tournament, but it’s the only game the team can control.

“Our team can only worry about Cincinnati,” head coach Meredith Black said. “We are going to play our best game against them and whatever happens, happens.”

Marquette will keep an eye on Temple’s game against Georgetown Saturday. The only way the Golden Eagles do not get in the BIG EAST tournament is if the Owls win by four or more.

Regardless of the outcome this weekend, the senior class believes a lot has changed over their four-year careers. Senior captain Kayce Haverstick says the team has been through many ups and downs. The seniors lost almost every game their freshman year but now enter the last weekend of the season competing for a BIG EAST tournament spot. Haverstick credits the continued rise of confidence that has turned their careers around.

“As freshmen, we knew we didn’t have a real shot. It was more about the experience,” Haverstick said. “Now, every time we step on the field we know we can beat the team we are playing.”

Black believes the senior class has played a major role in the program’s development. Starting a new program from scratch is always challenging, but thankfully, Marquette’s 13 seniors bought into the culture and continued to lead the team. Black said the seniors have been through endless obstacles throughout their careers but have always responded positively.

“Every single success that we’ve ever had in this program is attributed to them,” Black said. “They are the ones that got us to this place. I couldn’t be more proud of any group of seniors that I’ve ever coached.”

Coming into the season, Haverstick said she was unsure the senior class could get any closer. As a co-captain with fellow teammate Elizabeth Goslee, the senior defender said the two never made a decision without discussing it with the senior class first. Goslee says the respect the group has for each other has trickled down to the younger players and has helped the team mature.

“The senior class has grown tremendously,” Goslee said. “We have great leadership, and we feel like a family. All of us are so close, and I feel lucky to be a part of it.”

The conversation surrounding the team this year has been about making the BIG EAST tournament. Salter said it has been their goal since freshman year and would fulfill all of their dreams. Black added she believes it would mean the world to the team, especially the seniors if they advance.

“To have that one more tangible thing that proves their hard work has paid off would be really special,” Black said.

Starting goalie Sarah Priem said there would be no better way to end her career than by making history this weekend. Salter said she hopes making the tournament becomes a standard for the team. She wants future teams to remember their passion and hard work so they can see more success.

“People look at us as underdogs, but that doesn’t matter. It’s about the belief you have in yourself and team,” Salter said. “Hopefully our passion and love for our team and hard work will continue in further grades.”