Katin Reinhardt Q&A with Daily Trojan basketball reporter

Reinhardt led USC in scoring last season with 12.5 points (Photo courtesy of Brian Chin/Daily Trojan)

Steve Wojciechowski filled Marquette’s final scholarship slot this weekend, landing graduate transfer G/F Katin Reinhardt from Southern California. Ranked as the fifth best transfer available by ESPN, he’ll be another member of Marquette’s improved three-point shooting squad, which includes Andrew Rowsey, Markus Howard and Sam Hauser.

We talked to Daily Trojan basketball reporter Keith Demolder about Reinhardt’s game and his time at USC.

Q: How would you describe his game?

A: Reinhardt is an interesting player, but his game is very dissectible. He can shoot the lights out every single game when he gets hot. He is unique in his size. At 6-foot-6, 215 lbs., he is in that gray space between guard and small forward, but surprisingly isn’t that dominant of a rebounder. Looking at his play, he is a guard in every sense of the word. He is a primary scoring threat and can really contribute from the floor when the ball is in his hands, particularly from mid-range to long. He’s definitely not an interior player.

I know a reason why he’s leaving USC is potentially because of his role in that he wants to be more instrumental in the offense and distribute more – something he historically hasn’t been the best at. Even in high school he was a shooter, plain and simple.

He mainly comes off of screens and designed three-point plays: essentially the ultimate shooting guard. His three-point percentage was overshadowed by Elijah Stewart’s, even though his overall shooting percentage was better than Stewart’s.

Q: There aren’t many guards that have his sort of size. Does he utilize that advantage often?

A: He doesn’t use his size all that much because he’s typically on the outside. I would say he’s able to take more step-back shots because of his size, but not much else.

Q: Would you say he’s a strong facilitator?

A: I don’t even know if he even is a strong facilitator. I would say he’s more involved than most – or rather wants to be more involved and I think that’s what frustrated him at SC.

The reason why he isn’t as strong of a facilitator as he could be is because of his lack of speed. (Shooting guards Jordan) McLaughlin and (Julian) Jacobs have that first cut that can help distribute inside really well. Reinhardt doesn’t have that knack. He is a strong dribbler, but he gets scared when he goes inside despite his strength and size. I’ve maybe seen him dunk once or twice this season. Reinhardt is shoot-first.

Q: Was his loss anything that USC is worried about, or was he simply going to be a depth player?

A: It was a huge loss. Reinhardt wasn’t as much of a sixth man as he was the other shooting guard. In the instances in which Jacobs or McLaughlin would sit, Reinhardt would be in and would take some of the PG responsibilities and play more of a point role. It’s unfortunate he had to go because of his added maturity and experience.

They have a couple of guards coming in as freshmen but they could be boom or bust. Also, if Jacobs gets a good draft reception, USC would be in dire need of solid guard play.

Q: Would you say this is a good get for Marquette?

A: Absolutely. Great three-point shooter and a guy with tournament experience and a great locker room presence and maturity. Honestly, I can see him being NBA-quality.