BSO fuses Filipino culture with ’80s classic

Annual spring show inspired by comedy “The Breakfast Club”

For their annual spring culture show, the Bayanihan Student Organization created a truly unique mashup. This year’s theme is “The Breakfast Club” and takes place Saturday, Apr. 2 at the Weasler Auditorium. The show starts at 6 p.m. and is free of charge. Doors open at 5:30 p.m.

The organization chooses a theme for every year to make the show more relatable and help the audience better understand Filipino culture. Their version of The Breakfast Club follows six high school dancers and their friends trying to choreograph and run a cultural show while stuck in Saturday morning detention.

“We took the idea behind ‘The Breakfast Club’ as a coming of age story and we also wanted to tie in culture,” said Ryne Rubio, a junior in the College of Health Sciences and one of three cultural events coordinators for the show. “We had all the choreographers create a dance based on a traditional dance from the Philippines.”

Paper fans, handkerchiefs and glass cups were in hands during rehearsal as the dancers juggled the objects while performing complicated steps. Pandanggo, Bangko, Tinikling, Cariñosa and Maglalatik are some of the cultural dances that will be performed and explained for those not familiar with them.

The traditional dances are meant to portray the character’s personalities and motives throughout the show. The criminal in the show is interpreted through the Maglalatik segment. It is meant to symbolize two warring tribes fighting over the meat of a coconut.

“We took the warring nature behind the dance and tied that into her personality and made that the reason that she is a criminal,” Rubio said.

There are more than 80 students involved in the show this year, both behind the scenes and on stage.

Maribeth Gomez, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences and cultural events coordinator, said trying to plan ahead for problems that could happen in the show was the hardest part of preparing.

“I feel like that depending on people to get their own stuff done is the most challenging,” said Heather Belingon, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences and cultural events coordinator. “We couldn’t get our work done if others haven’t.”

“I joined because a lot of guys on my floor were in the show and I’ve had so much fun since,” said Anthony Chan, a senior in the College of Business Administration and dancer in the show.

“I feel like this year we focused a lot more on traditional Filipino culture, while last year was a more modern idea of culture,” Gomez said.

The show will also include Latin, Korean Pop and modern dance segments.

“You don’t have to be Filipino to enjoy the show,” said Rubio. “Expect diversity.”

BSO started planning for the show in November. Since then, everyone involved has been bouncing off walls and benches (literally for the Bangko dance) preparing for opening night.