Redesigning OZZI boxes, dining hall composting discussed at Sodexo food forum

Marquette Student Government hosted a forum with campus food provider Sodexo on Feb. 11 for students to learn more about campus dining services.

About 15 people were in attendance, 10 of whom were students. Kevin Gilligan, general manager of Sodexo Campus Services at Marquette, spoke about how students can provide feedback on campus dining.

“One of the things that drove this meeting is students aren’t really aware of all the ways they can give feedback,” Gilligan said. “You can give feedback at our website, through social media or stop by our offices.”

Sodexo employs 163 full-time employees and around 500 students in the dining halls. Gilligan outlined all the services Sodexo provides and described how it continuously works to make improvements.

Eliza Luvianos, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, attended the forum because she is a Type 1 diabetic and she wanted to know more about what Sodexo does to address food allergies.

“I appreciate the nutritional facts behind all the food,” Luvianos said. “It’s really helpful.”

Several students raised questions about redesigning the OZZI box, a reusable container for takeout dining hall food, to make it less bulky and better for food storage. Gilligan said Marquette is working to redesign the boxes.

The presentation also highlighted Marquette’s composting program. In 2015, campus dining halls recycled nearly 27,000 lbs. of fryer oil. Gilligan said composting requires a lot of employee training.

“I put together this event because I wanted students to know what dining services at Marquette can offer, so we can have a better perception of Sodexo,” said Josh Miles, MUSG member and sophomore in the College of Communication.

MUSG has hosted other similar forums in the past, including a one that detailed how university divestment works.

“We have these sessions and forums to ensure that students are aware of the opportunities at our university and the issues it faces, while bringing our staff and administration to students so we can come up with solutions together,” Miles said.