MUsic infuses college with creativity

Student musicians credit inspiration to campus community

MUsic infuses college with creativity

Photo by Facebook.com/MUsicOrganization

Photo by Facebook.com/MUsicOrganization

Photo by Facebook.com/MUsicOrganization

When discussing the origin of rockstars, it’s common to hear, “What city is that band from?” or, “When did this musician come onto the music scene?” But the question that never gets asked is, “Where did this musician go to school?”

The primary perception is that art and academics are binaries, distinct and unrelated. However, a recent article by The Washington Post cites an often-overlooked trend for musicians to take the college route.

One of Marquette’s newer organizations, MUsic (pronounced em-you-sic) exemplifies this trend by aiming to foster musical talent and interest amongst music lovers who are not involved in school band or orchestra on campus.

The club was founded by Mary Kate Hickey, a junior in the College of Communication and Troy Farsakian and Kevyn Schwab, both seniors in the College of Engineering, all of whom felt there was an absence of a music community on campus.

“We really want to bring back the music culture on campus because from what we heard in the past, it was really prevalent on Marquette’s campus,” Hickey said.

The club, which formed in 2015, started small, but as of the 2016 Spring O-Fest now has 40 active members and over 100 students on its mailing list. In this short time, the club has already experienced how being in a collegiate environment has positively influenced their music.

The founders emphasized how college provides a community that encourages musical growth.

“College is a time to explore, experiment, so on the music side creatively, (it’s) a time for people to take chances,” Farsakian said. “It expands your horizons. College helps you grow up and understand the world a little bit more.”

Schwab agreed with Farsakian, adding: “You’re learning how to learn in college, and that’s a huge part of music.”

Matt Feo, a junior in the College of Business Administration and guitarist for his band, Eye & i, agrees that while academics don’t necessarily play a big role in his development as a musician, the college experience as a whole, does.

“In terms of college’s environment to where you’re off and maturing and developing on your own, that can help your creativity,” Feo said.

When asked if he wanted to pursue a career in musician, Feo said it would be ideal, but the fickleness of the industry makes it unlikely. Regardless, he continues to work with his band, making music and performing. Their album, “Mama Siah” is now on Spotify.