Volleyball signs 3 top-100 recruits for 2016

Two of the players hail from top Wisconsin programs
Photo by Ben Erickson/[email protected]

Marquette volleyball has officially announced the 2016 recruiting class, featuring three players — middle blocker Allie Barber, outside hitter Madeline Mosher and setter Lauren Speckman. All three are in the Top 100 of PrepVolleyball’s Senior Aces.

“We are very excited about our 2016 signees,” Marquette head coach Ryan Theis told GoMarquette.com. “We believe they will blend in nicely right away with our team and our system, and each will be a big part of our program in the near future.”

The 6-foot-5 Barber is the most highly touted member of the class, clocking in at No. 45 on PrepVolleyball’s prospects list. Barber is from Cedarburg, Wisconsin, and has collected all-conference honors three times. She was also a 2014 AAU Volleyball All-American selection.

Mosher hails from Waterloo, Wisconsin, and will anchor Marquette’s offense alongside Taylor Louis, Amanda Green and Joy Miley next year. She holds her high school record in kills and plays with Barber at the AAU level. PrepVolleyball ranked Mosher as the No. 85 recruit in the country.

Speckman will make a slightly longer trip than her fellow recruits when she comes to Marquette. She attends Archbishop Mitty High School in San Jose, California. She is the No. 75-ranked recruit on PrepVolleyball’s List and will presumably back up current setter Sara Blasier next year.

It remains to be seen how many of the recruits will be given the redshirt label next year. The trio will all have four years of athletic eligibility.