Near West Side Partners, Milwaukee County create $1.6 million development fund

NWSP is working with Marquette and Milwaukee businesses to improve the seven Near West Side communities. Milwaukee County allocated $800,000 to the fund and NWSP matched the amount through private sector investments, according to a wispolitics.com press release.
Photo by Ben Erickson
Harp and Shamrock and the Avenues West building on the corner of 21st and Wells. Harp and Shamrock owner Aldo Tase said the presence of MUPD has been positive for his business.

Near West Side Partners, Inc. joined with Milwaukee County to create a $1.6 million Economic Development Fund for attracting new private sector investment in Marquette’s campus and the surrounding areas.

The county’s contribution came after demolition of a nine-story building on N. 27th Street and W. Wells Street was cancelled and it was sold instead. Stanley said the money will be used to promote neighborhood stability and economic growth in the Near West Side.

Keith Stanley, NWSP executive director, said the organization works with every business in the Marquette area from Pita Brothers to Sobelmans and Dogg Haus to Marquette Tanning & Coin Laundry. It provides the businesses with side grants, promotional assistance and encouraging business.

“It’s unprecedented that anchors and stakeholders work together,” he said. “This will have a positive long-term effect for Marquette.”

Stanley said the organization hopes to focus on safety, housing, commercial businesses and marketing in the long-term.

“Marquette will definitely see the effects from the Economic Development Fund,” Stanley said. “While it will be used to support main developments around and in the area of 27th Street, it is not limited to that region.”

Rana Altenburg, NWSP president and Marquette’s vice president of public affairs, said Marquette, a founding member of NWSP, is thrilled with the new fund.

“It’s a significant vote of confidence in our collective efforts to revitalize our neighborhood,” Altenburg said in an email.

NWSP is working on two goals involving Marquette. The first is partnering with the Department of Public Works to improve Wisconsin Avenue, as well as local residents and businesses. The second involves discussing the future reconstruction of I-94, located just south of Marquette, with the Department of Transportation.

Altenburg noted Marquette’s involvement with NWSP opens the door to enhance and link the community in new ways.

“Marquette must be prepared to respond to opportunities as they arise,” she said. “And a master plan will provide us with the tools we need to make informed decisions about the future of our campus.”