Men’s lacrosse to host 3 BIG EAST games this season

The Golden Eagles will open their season at home against Bellarmine

The Golden Eagles look to build off a season where they peaked at No. 9 in the national polls. (Photo by Alicia Mojica/Marquette Athletics)

Photo by Alicia Mojica

Photo by Alicia Mojica

The 2015-16 Marquette men’s lacrosse schedule is filled with many of the big name programs you’ve come to expect. Duke, Denver, Notre Dame and Ohio State will once again serve as enormous hurdles for a team looking to cement a spot in the college lacrosse scene.

Marquette will also play five home games, tied for the most it’s hosted in a season, including what is sure to be a chilly season opener on Feb. 20 against the Bellarmine Knights at Valley Fields. The Golden Eagles will also play Robert Morris, Georgetown, Villanova and Providence at Hart Park in Wauwatosa.

“It will be great to try and get a game here at the Valley,” head coach Joe Amplo said. “Hopefully the weather holds up. (The schedule is) exciting. It’s similar to year’s past. It gives us a great chance to play against the best, potentially compete for an at-large bid, but most importantly, focus on the BIG EAST portion of the season.”

The schedule features many familiar foes, as 11 of the 13 teams on the schedule were featured on last year’s as well. The two teams on the slate that the Golden Eagles have never faced before are Robert Morris and Quinnipiac.

“Playing Robert Morris is a unique challenge,” Amplo said. “They have a lot of Canadian players. Qunnipiac is a team that plays against some of the best teams in the east… It’s nice for our guys to see some different shirts than they normally would have.”

Marquette will not surprisingly compete in the Midwest Lacrosse Classic again, this time hosted by Ohio State. The Golden Eagles will face the Buckeyes and Detroit Mercy in a three-day span.

The season will end the same way it did last season – with tough match-ups against top dog Duke and reigning NCAA champion Denver. Marquette will play both on the road.

There are four scrimmages on the schedule, including a fall ball match against Fairfield this Sunday. In January they will play the annual preseason game against Michigan, before February match-ups with High Point and the perennial powerhouse Cornell.