Midnight Run exploring ways to spend money, anticipating year’s events

Photo by Wire Stock Photo

Volunteer service program Midnight Run is exploring ways to spend the money it has and plans to earn, including the possibility of purchasing a house.

“This needs a lot more research and exploration to see how it could possibly be done,” Gerry Fischer, Midnight Run’s faculty adviser, said. “I myself could not be the one to be responsible for making this happen.”

Midnight Run focuses on needs of the hungry and homeless living in the community around Marquette. Students started the program in 1988 and it operates under Campus Ministry. Volunteers serve in meal programs and shelters throughout the area.

Jon Bie, a senior in the College of Business Administration and Midnight Run’s fundraising chair, said fundraising will be done through different events. So far the group has put on a rummage sale with old Jesuit Residence furniture.

“The event went very well and interest was extremely high,” Bie said. “Who could say no to having a piece of Jesuit history in their apartment?”

Funds from these events help cover van maintenance and up-keep, in addition to varying operation costs for Noon Run, Midnight Run’s meal program at Redeemer Lutheran Church.

Bie said the group is reaching out to many of the service sites it has relationships with to see what they need so their programs can run better than ever.

Fundraised money also goes toward Midnight Run’s Benevolence Fund, which is primarily raised for needs of the Milwaukee community. Megan Andreasen, one of the group’s co-coordinators and a senior in the College of Nursing, said funds from some of Midnight Run’s biggest events go toward the Benevolence Fund.

“Right now we are using our fund money to go toward Homeless Connect, but we will also be buying St. Vincent de Paul North silverware,” Andreasen said. “It has just been an accumulation of funds and we want to use it wisely to help others.”

Fischer said the group receives good support from Midnight Run alumni. He also brought up one of Midnight Run’s bigger events, Miles for Meals.

“It takes place on the Friday of family weekend and we basically do a 5K around the Marquette Mile,” Fischer said.

The 5K fun run/walk is not timed and has raised more than $3,000 in past years. The runners arrive around 4 p.m. and after a short welcome speech and prayer, head off to start the Marquette Mile.

“I love this event because it is a great way to meet other people passionate about Midnight Run and an even better way to spread the word about our mission and some of the unfortunate realities that are taking place in our own city,” Bie said.