Student showcases fashion, design through personal blog

Photo Courtesy via Catherine Yates

Photo Courtesy via Catherine Yates

Photo Courtesy via Catherine Yates

For some, fashion can be simple and uninteresting, but for other people it is a lifestyle, something that defines them and, most importantly, gives them a sense of identity. For Catherine “Erin” Yates, a senior in the College of Business Administration from Denver, looking at both fashion and lifestyle are two ways she is able to express herself through her blog, LivingMe, and where she gets the chance to stray away from the rigors of school and attain a sense of calm and happiness.

Yates’ lifestyle blog covers a wide range of topics, from do-it-yourself projects at her apartment to Easter Sunday with her friends. Her blog has become pretty successful, amassing more than 6,000 followers on her Instagram account showcasing her life, fashion apparel and knowledge about interior design and relationships. Her blog allows you to read posts under the category’s section and to learn more about her journey in the ‘about me’ section. You can also leave comments on her blog posts and reach out to her by filling out a form on her contact page. Yates’ website has visuals for nearly every blog post and page, a nice addition to the longer stories she writes.

“I originally started my fashion and lifestyle blog for my friends and family that live across the country,” Yates said.

Now, Yates tries to update her followers about three to five times a week, which can be difficult during the school year with a rigorous course load. Although Yates’ blog discusses various topics, one section receives more views and likes than the others — fashion.

“Although it is not just a fashion blog, the fashion section is definitely the most popular,” Yates said.  “Since I was little, I have been passionate about fashion.”

Fashion is one of the easiest ways to express yourself and Yates gives her followers tips on what to wear during the cold winters in Milwaukee, patterns and stripes that are trending in the fashion world and other ways to showcase items like tutus and long dresses.

With blogs, Yates said trying to make content pertinent to an audience is a must to help people stay engaged and interested in a certain topic. Trying to find a way to connect with her followers, specifically college-aged students, is a challenge, one that has gone pretty well throughout her college experience.

“It really means something different to everyone, and that’s what I love about it,” Yates said.  “I’m not doing this for one primary purpose of wanting someone to get something from it. I’m putting it all out there for people to read, love and take what they need.”

Yates added one of her favorite things to do is tell stories, which is why it is fun for her to write the lifestyle and love posts on the site.

Her blog can viewed at living-me.com and can be followed on Instagram and Twitter at @livingmeblog.