Marquee’s midterm survival guide

Milwaukee Public Library bookshelves.
Milwaukee Public Library bookshelves.

Ah, the week right before spring break. So close to absolute freedom, but so far. Unfortunately, before being able to travel or simply binge watch Netflix for an entire week, Marquette students have to face the trials of midterm week. While it may seem that you don’t have enough hours in your days to make it through, following this quick guide will surely help you survive midterm week.

1. Stop Procrastinating.

Let’s be honest. If all of your midterms are on Friday, you will probably leave all the studying for Thursday. Bad idea. A laid-back attitude toward midterms could easily effect your grades. Also, procrastination is only fun while you are procrastinating… Afterward, it will only give you a headache.

The anxiety and stress of studying under pressure can effect the way your brain retains information. Studying the day before will not give you enough time to learn everything you need. Relying on just your short-term memory is just not a good idea.

Sure, just saying you should not procrastinate is easy, but how do you go about actually not doing it? The easiest way is to set daily goals for yourself and making sure you actually achieve them. By breaking your work into smaller parts, it becomes easier to track your progress and tackle tasks little by little. It may also be helpful to get a friend you can rely on for motivation.

Start studying early and not only will you remember more information, you will also have more free time by the end of the week (which is always a good thing).

1. Actually attend your classes…

This seems like obvious advice, but it’s not. It is really easy to just skip a whole week of a lecture where the teacher never takes attendance, but chances are that will also hurt your grades. By going to class, you get the chance to ask your professor questions or find a study buddy. You can also use class time to review material and create a study guide.

Believe it or not, classes can be helpful and professors can give good hints on what may be on your midterm. Shocking, I know.

1. Take advantage of resources!

A Marquette education isn’t cheap, and your tuition covers much more than just classes. In fact, there are many resources at Marquette that can help you get back on track and do better on that challenging midterm you’re scared of taking.

In case you haven’t heard, Marquette has a Writing Center at Raynor Library, and it can be quite helpful. Papers can be just as challenging as exams, but in this case you can schedule an appointment and have an extra brain help you figure out how to write a good paper.

If you are anything like me and just the thought of midterms makes you want to cry, the Counseling Center can help you. The Counseling Center is hosting Mindful Minutes Wednesdays from 12:15 to 12:45 p.m. and Thursdays from 4 to 4:30 p.m. These 30-minute sessions are designed to help reduce stress and strengthen your focus. Oh, and they are free.

Marquette offers tutoring for most 1000 and 2000-level courses, group-study rooms at Raynor Library and pet therapy (Tuesday at the AMU). Also, do not forget that teachers have office hours, and they probably will not bite if you go ask them for help.

1. Find the perfect study spot.

Not all of us can afford the luxury of studying in our rooms, and have to resort to putting on pants and finding a quiet study spot. If you’re tired of Raynor, there are many other places around campus where you can hide and cry. Study! I meant study.

• David Straz Hall basement
  • AMU 1st or 3rd floor
  • Brooks Lounge, in the AMU
  • Sensenbrenner Hall
  • The Milwaukee Public Library
  • jPad in Johnston Hall
  • Eckstein Hall Lobby
  • Residence Halls conference/study rooms.

1. Stay Healthy.

If you’re the kind of person that will hole up in one place all week, please do not forget to stay healthy. Drink lots of water and eat small portions often. Water hydrates the brain (and keeps you alive) while helping you concentrate. Eating small portions often will help you stay alert.

We are college students, and don’t know what a decent night of sleep is, so in case you have forgotten, you should try to sleep between six to eight hours every night; any less can lead to sleep deprivation. Sleeping helps your brain retain information, which is important during midterm week.

Check out the Brew’s specials for the month of March, or take a coffee break to relax in Starbucks by the fire! Enough said.

6.   Find a stress reliever.

Netflix may seem like a great reward for a long day of studying, but chances are you will end up watching a whole season of a show rather than one short episode. Try to find stress relievers that will not tempt you to procrastinate.

Cheer on Marquette Basketball this Wednesday, spend time with friends, take a quick nap or go to pet therapy at the AMU. It doesn’t matter how you do it, but you should keep a healthy balance between studying and relaxing, for the sake of your own sanity.

7.   Be mindful of others.

If you are done with midterms, please remember most of your peers are not as lucky. Be courteous and respectful, by keeping the noise level to a minimum. Your neighbors will definitely appreciate it.

Whatever you do, please don’t be the person that disturbs everyone studying in a quiet spot. It’s cold outside, and people probably don’t want to move just because you decided to be loud.

__________

Midterm week is only five days long. Just 120 hours. It may seem endless, but very soon it will be spring break and your worries will be gone. Until then, good luck studying! And whatever happens, if you pass or fail, celebrate. We all deserve it!