Five Cost-Efficient, Yet Romantic Date Ideas for Marquette Students

FullSizeRender-2Dinner Date and a Movie

Price: Free w/ Meal Swipe

Nothing says romance like sharing a delicious meal with a significant other. Unfortunately, romantic dinners come with a price, and way too often a high one. Luckily, Marquette students have access to the campus sports restaurant, The Annex, located on the corner of 16th and Wells St. The Annex takes meal swipes for designated meals and allows one swipe per week. On weekends, couples can head over to the Varsity Theater after they finish their meal. Movies are shown on weekends as part of Late Night Marquette and films are usually advertised on the marquee along Wisconsin Ave. Entry is free to any student who presents an MUID. Any student who presents their ID can bring along guests free of charge, which works out conveniently for long-distance relationships.

Snowfall Excursion to East Milwaukee 

Price: Cost of Colectivo Coffee

Following a heavy snowfall, no part of Milwaukee looks quite as stunning as the East Side. The rolling hills and heavily wooded areas provide fantastic visuals when they are blanketed with snow. The hills provide great opportunities to go sledding or just to go for a walk and admire the amazing winter scenery. As the hill winds down towards the lakefront, couples can stop and warm up with Colectivo Coffee, located at 1701 N. Lincoln Memorial Dr. The prices are relatively inexpensive for a tremendous experience at the Latin American-influenced cafe. The romantic setting perfectly tops off a date spent exploring the city’s snow-covered East Side with a significant other.

Tour the Beer Capital of the World

Price: Free

Milwaukee is nationally known for its multiple established breweries, so much so that the city has been nicknamed “the beer capital of the world” over the years. The most notable Milwaukee brewery belongs to MillerCoors, located in Miller Valley just west of Marquette’s campus, further along Wisconsin Ave. Tours are free and last about an hour, taking you through the warehouses and brewing locations, explaining the different steps of the brewing process. In fact, the tour even takes its audiences into what was once an ice cave, previously used to store beer at a cold temperature. If you and your date are over 21, the tour provides a beer sampling session at the Miller Inn. This free tour will make for a terrific time on a date, giving couples the chance to experience a behind-the-scenes look at the MillerCoors brewery in the “beer capital of the world.”

Milwaukee Riverwalk with the “Bronze Fonz”

Price: Cost of Dinner

The Riverwalk along Water Street can be the most beautiful place in Milwaukee, even in the frigid wintertime. With the water frozen over, the river gives off a gorgeous shine as it reflects the city lights as clear as crystal. The snow-covered sheet of ice is quite the sight to see while strolling along the Riverwalk, hand-in-hand with your date. Lined with numerous restaurants, the Riverwalk provides plenty of locations to grab a bite to eat either before or after admiring the heart of the city. As a bonus, it includes a bronze statue of Fonzie from the Milwaukee-based television show “Happy Days.” Throw a couple thumbs up and take the selfie worth a thousand “Ayyy’s!”

Experience Late Night Marquette

Price: Varies

Not every college student in the country has the same resources and opportunities Marquette gives us. Late Night Marquette offers a wide variety of on-campus activities to allow students to utilize their resources and enjoy their time here. What’s more, these events are extremely cost-efficient, an opportunity every college student should take. For example, Late Night Marquette offers $1 bowling every Thursday night at the Annex from 4:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. Couples can either compete against each other or another couple on a double date. It is illogical to spend the same money anyone would at Brunswick Zone when Late Night Marquette offers the same thing for next-to-nothing. Future LNM events might include musical performances, trivia nights and more. LNM lets couples interact not only with each other, but with the rest of the campus community.