‘Our Town’ provides a touching message about life

Wire_logoI attended “Our Town” because I am always looking for opportunities that allow me to put life into perspective.

Before going to see the play, I did not know what to expect at all. Sure, I knew about the setting of Grover’s Corners, New Hampshire, some characters’ names and basic plot information, but what I did not know turned out to be the most powerful lesson: learning to appreciate life for the good and bad alike.

Emily Webb, one of the main characters of the story, came to this realization far too late in her life. Likewise, most of the other characters who passed away had similar experiences. Days, weeks, months and years passed in Grover’s Corners, and the people within the town failed to appreciate life and reflect on past moments they had experienced. Failing to do so led many to their graves wishing they had had an opportunity to do so.

‘Our Town’ allowed me to come to a realization that college and life should not be taken for granted. We expect to get up every day and go through a similar routine, seeing the same faces and going to the same classes. What we fail to do is treat every day as special and as an opportunity to learn more about ourselves and others. In this world of instant gratification and individualism, we sometimes forget that each day is a gift. A lot of times, we are too focused on ourselves and see each day as tedious and uneventful.

Thornton Wilder, the original director of ‘Our Town,’ used Emily, George and other characters to highlight the importance of reflecting on every circumstance throughout life. From family members and friends, to a pedestrian walking in the street, acknowledging people’s existence and interacting with them on a daily basis is a must. Yes, it is extremely easy to become preoccupied with all this technology and distractions around, but getting away from everything for a few hours can help you become more aware of your surroundings and the people around you.

There are tons of opportunities to connect with all kinds of people and places. Although ‘Our Town’ may not be your first choice of plays to watch, it is a play that signifies the importance of family, friends and people in general. We may not have control over certain things in our lives, but taking time to reflect on life’s journey is one practice that can help us become more appreciative and grateful human beings.