MU women to be honored at Golden Roses celebration

Female Marquette faculty, staff and recent graduates will have an opportunity to participate in the university’s fourth annual Golden Roses celebration.

The awards, which honor women who support diversity and inclusivity throughout Marquette, will be given at a March ceremony in the Alumni Memorial Union.

This year, more than 35 women were nominated by current students and faculty members and will be sent invitations for the reception this week. At the reception, each nominee will receive some type of award based on her contribution to empowering underrepresented students at Marquette.

John Janulis, coordinator for intercultural engagement in the Office of Student Development, will moderate the event.

“Golden Roses was engendered on campus in March 2010 in celebration of Women’s History Month to recognize contributions that female faculty and staff have made on the lives of students from diverse backgrounds, students in the LGBTQ community and first generation students,” he said. “We know through research, interactions and observations that students who identify in these communities might face challenges in pursuing a higher education.”

Janulis said the support students receive from faculty and staff helps them feel welcome and valued on campus.

“Therefore, Golden Roses aims to recognize the efforts of our female staff members in helping make a difference in the lives of Marquette students,” he said.

Prior to 2012, Golden Roses was solely a celebration of women of color at Marquette.

“Although it is certainly important to recognize women of color affiliated with the university, we felt that celebrating women at Marquette who support underrepresented student communities was more aligned with our goals of promoting inclusivity and intercultural engagement,” he said.

This year, students’ nominations and input are considered in addition to faculty and staff nominations. The Office of Intercultural Engagement accepted nominations via email and print through last Friday.

Janulis said the Golden Roses awards allow current students to say a special thank you to chosen women at Marquette.

“I think we seize every opportunity we have to say thank you to those who have helped students get where they are now,” he said. “The Golden Roses allows our current students—and faculty and staff—the opportunity to recognize those at Marquette who have made a difference.”

Nicci Williams, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, attended the ceremony last year.

“I went in honor of one of my former professors who was involved in the psychology program,” she said. “It was so enlightening and empowering to see such awesome women represent Marquette.”

Williams said attending the event inspired her to pursue her goals as the women at the ceremony had.

“It is so important to remember the women who influence our lives every day,” she said. “This is a program that not many students know about, but it is so vital that we try tomake it known.”

Nichelle Walker, a freshman in the College of Business Administration, said she would be less successful as a student without the support she has received from women at Marquette.

“There are so many qualities, like being focused and confident, that inspired me to stay driven,” she said. “It is such a refresher to see women like that at Marquette.”