Marquette Women’s Soccer: The Milwaukee-Chicago Debate Lives On

Lindsey Page provides a spark on and off the field for the Golden Eagles. Photo courtesy Marquette Athletics.

It’s one of the most common debates on campus: Milwaukee or Chicago? Apparently, this is true even on the Marquette women’s soccer team.

At least it is between senior forward Lindsey Page and senior defender Kerry McBride, who are former roommates.

Page, from Alsip, Ill., has loyalties to Chicago, while McBride, from nearby Elm Grove, Wisc., remains true to her Milwaukee roots.

“We have our Milwaukee-Chicago fights, because obviously Milwaukee is better, but (Page) thinks Chicago is,” McBride said.

While the two may differ in their opinions off the pitch, they have bonded on it, and it has helped lead to Marquette’s 7-1-0 start to the season, including a come-from-behind 2-1 victory at Indiana on Sunday.

Page has been a crucial part of that success and may be the most underrated player on the team.

Through the first eight games, Page has two goals and three assists, putting nine of her 18 shots on goal. She also scored the game-winning goal in overtime against Northwestern Aug. 21.

Despite appearing in and making an impact in every game this year, Page hasn’t started a game, a testament to how deep the team is.

“It doesn’t matter who plays how many minutes or who starts. It’s all about the end result,” coach Markus Roeders said. “Lindsey could certainly start, but we feel she’s a great spark off the bench for us.”

Now that the team’s non-conference portion of the season has been completed, it will be players like Page who will spell the starters when they get tired, especially later in the season, when a fresh body could lead to a goal or mismatch.

While Page may be a nuisance for opponents on the field, the senior looks forward to helping people when she graduates by going into nursing.

As generous as this may seem, Page has encountered a few tense moments when working at the hospital.

“I was poked by a needle that was used on a homeless man one time. I’ve been thrown up on. Pretty much anything and everything that you could imagine,” Page said.

While the experience of those things may be beneficial to Page in the future, the team is thankful she has been able to balance off-the-field experiences and translate it into on-field success.

“She has a great sense of humor, fun and has a great personality,” McBride said. “She does a great job of leading by example on the team and helping underclassmen.”

The sense of humor came up when asked if she had any rebuttals toward sophomore defender Katie Hishmeh being named the unofficial best dancer on the team by sophomore midfielder Sam Vicker.

“That was false print, because I’ve won the dance competition run by (strength and conditioning coach) Todd Smith the last two years,” Page said. “I’m the best dancer on the team. I’ve never seen Katie dance before.”

Page and Hishmeh will look to give the crowd a dance show after goals scored Thursday when the team hosts its Big East opener against Pittsburgh.