Beer week sure to be a barrel of fun

Many are bars, liquor stores and restaurants will celebrate Milwaukee Beer Week with deals and samples. Photo via Google Images

Milwaukee is a city famous for its love of the cold one — the Brewers are even named after that thirst-quenching love. But lesser known is that today officially kicks off Milwaukee Beer Week, a time when beer enthusiasts and beer novices alike join together to celebrate the vast beer tradition Milwaukee has to offer.

Milwaukee Beer Week, which has occurred several times previously, features large beer tasting events as well as free sampling of craft and microbrews at various liquor stores across the Milwaukee area. It is a chance to raise awareness of the wide varieties of beers the city has to offer.

Expert beer blogger and self-proclaimed “beer geek” Chris McLean of Beer Buffalo Lodge (BBLodge.info) said he started promoting and reviewing craft beers in 2006. It has since developed into his passion.

“Beer Week seems to have a bigger buzz this year,” McLean said.

Mike Christian, store manager of Jeff’s Spirits on Main Street, located at 821 S. Main St. in West Bend, Wis., is among those looking to generate that buzz. His store will be holding two free tastings during Beer Week on this Friday and next Saturday.

Christian said this Friday the store will host a tasting for the Horny Goat Brewery, which brews various craft beers locally in Milwaukee. The tasting will take place from 5 to 7 p.m.

Jeff’s Spirits is among dozens of liquor stores or restaurants hosting such a sampling event. Other venues hosting tasting events today include Discount Liquor, located at 5031 W. Oklahoma Ave., at 4 p.m. according to the Milwaukee Beer Week official website.

Jeff’s and other establishments will also be offering promotions such as a free glass with the purchase of certain 12 packs or deals on bottles of beer at bars, such as Points East Pub at 1501 N. Jackson St.

For a taste of larger events, the Milwaukee Harley-Davidson Museum, 400 W. Canal St., is hosting the second annual “Taste of Great Brewers” on Friday night starting at 6 p.m.

The event will host more than 50 breweries presenting more than 200 unique beer varieties for $40 a ticket. Participants must be 21 or over to gain entrance.

Also offered during Beer Week are various deals at restaurants across the area, ranging from beer-battered fish fries this Friday to double happy hours during the week.

“There are some great deals out there and lots of chances to explore new beers this week,” McLean said.

Christian said his store is a big supporter of beer week because of the attention it brings to lesser-known brands of beer. He said Jeff’s Spirits on Main is considered a “go-to” place for craft beer lovers, and that the store offers a large variety of such brews.

Beechwood Sales & Service in New Berlin is coordinating Beer Week events, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. The Journal Sentinel is also a hosting sponsor of the event.

Marquette professor Steve Byers, a former nationally syndicated beer columnist, said he has always enjoyed craft brews because of their higher quality. He said he would attempt to attend some Beer Week activities but he is too busy this upcoming week.

“Craft brews are traditionally brewed with fresher ingredients,” Byers said. “You see the light beer commercials saying you should ‘man up’ to drink them, but craft brews are really the ones you can man up to. … Light beer is for people who actually don’t like beer.”

According to the Beer Week website, the event is also offering a new promotion called the Beer Week Passport. Participants in the promotion can get their passport stamped at each event they attend and win prizes with more stamps.

Prizes include a Milwaukee Beer Week Pint and poster for 12 stamps. A grand prize with 50 stamps includes a beer week sweatshirt.