Feingold addresses health care concerns at listening session

FeingoldU.S. Sen. Russ Feingold (D-Wis.) told Milwaukee County constituents last week that he still hopes the public option is included in health care legislation now being considered by Congress.

Health care reform dominated the discussion Friday at Vincent High School, 7501 N. Granville Rd., during one of Feingold’s trademark listening sessions.

Although Feingold said he hasn’t completely reviewed Sen. Max Baucus’ (D-Mon.) health care bill, he’s disappointed it doesn’t include a public option. But Feingold said it could come back in an amendment.

“(The public option is) very injured, but it’s not dead,” Feingold said.

He said the way the proposed legislation is currently written, people would have to pay too much for health care. He also argued that insurance companies should not be allowed to deny coverage based on pre-existing conditions.

“The goal is to not make life harder for you, but easier for you,” Feingold said.

But he said Congress is finally getting to specifics on health care legislation.

In the 17 years Feingold has been holding listening sessions in each of Wisconsin’s 72 counties, health care has been one of the most popular topics, he said.

Most of the questions people raised at the listening session concerned health care. The crowd was mostly made up of those in favor of health care reform.

Two audience members proposed the money spent on national defense could be better spent on health care — a point applauded by a majority of those in attendance. One of the speakers, Shorewood resident Julie Enslow, said it’s essential that Americans start caring about the common good, and people who need health care and jobs.

“You can make a lot of phone calls and write your letters but it’s very nice to have a face-to-face encounter with your senator,” Enslow said.

Feingold, who said he’s prepared to offer a timeline on withdrawal from Afghanistan, agreed money is being spent where it shouldn’t be.

Anna Robbins of Glendale said she came to the listening session to show her support for the senator and his views on health care.

Robbins said individuals, and businesses, are all suffering due to the way the health care system is currently run. She said businesses are paying too much to cover employee health care.

Feingold began the listening session by saying all topics were open for discussion.

“There’s a rumor someone might mention health care,” he joked.