Bears. BEATS. Battlestar Galactica. – November 1, 2012

Today on BBBSG, we’re connecting Dominos and Déjà Vu! Stay tuned for Janis Joplin, Taylor Swift, and more!

We’re starting today’s show with a free download that was recently sent to me, Domino by Squalloscope. Squalloscope has a few a capella songs, which would make a perfect segue to our next song, a mash-up from the movie Pitch Perfect (aptly titled Bellas Finals: Price Tag / Don’t You (Forget About Me) / Give Me Everything / Just the Way You Are / Party In the U.S.A. / Turn the Beat Around). Our next song is also from a soundtrack, but is referred to as a medley, instead of a mash-up. The Elephant Love Medley is one of the most amazing songs in the movie Moulin Rouge, and much like in Pitch Perfect, the lead actors, Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman, sang for their characters. One of the songs at the end of the medley is also sung on its own in the movie, and that happens to be Elton John‘s Your Song. Sir Elton’s song has been re-done by other artists many times and one such artist happens to be Ellie Goulding. Ellie Goulding has many amazing songs, but one of my favorites it This Love (Will be Your Downfall). Maroon 5 also has a song called  This Love from their first CD, Songs about Jane.

Both songs called This Love are in the vein of the anti-love song, but they’re not nearly as powerful as one of life’s true anti-love songs: These Boots are Made for Walking by Nancy Sinatra. Speaking about walking and anti-love, how about we go with Meiko‘s Walk By. Meiko has been on tour with various artists, such as Jewel, Josh Radin, and Eric Hutchinson. Hutchinson’s Ok, It’s Alright With Me was featured on the 21st Cities 97 sampler, a collection of acoustic music performed in the radio station’s Studio C. Snow Patrol was also featured on the album with their song Crack the Shutters. Snow Patrol’s lead singer, Gary Lightbody, can be heard on Taylor Swift‘s new album Red. The track is called The Last Time. So what’s the opposite of the last time? The first time. Here is Falling for the First Time by the Barenaked Ladies. Speaking of Falling, Florence and the Machine has fallen out of taxis, fallen out of trees and fallen on her face!

Florence Welch of Florence and the Machine was part of a tribute to Amy Winehouse shortly after her death. The song that really let Amy rise to the top initially was her song Rehab. Winehouse’s death was a tragedy, as were the other famous musician deaths that create the 27 Club. Janis Joplin is one of the other talents lost at the age 27 and though her death is indeed tragic, she left us with Piece of My Heart and other songs to remember her by. Joplin was one of the brilliant artists who chose to perform at Woodstock, much like our next band, Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. If you want to follow their advice and Teach Your Children well, I recommend that you educate them on CSNY’s music! That song is off of their album Déjà Vu, so I’d say that we’ve connected Dominoes to Déjà Vu!

• A

aimeeNov 1, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I love that Christina is on air with you today! (And that you both admit to listening to your parents’ music!)