Marquette’s 2024 graduating class without a traditional senior week

The university has made the decision to push graduation upwards by one weekend, instead of holding off, putting this tradition to a halt. For the Class of 2024, graduation will be immediately after finals, falling on May 11 or 12, depending on the Milwaukee Bucks playoff season.
Students posing for photo during senior week in 1992. Photo Courtesy of Marquette University Archives.

A decades long tradition known as “Senior Week” is looking different for Marquette’s class of 2024.

Typically, after finals, students were given a week planned by the university to enjoy themselves and their last moments with friends before graduation the following weekend.

The university has made the decision to push graduation upwards by one weekend instead of holding off, putting this tradition to a halt. For the Class of 2024, graduation will be immediately after finals, falling on May 11 or 12, depending on the Milwaukee Bucks’ playoff schedule. 

This year’s graduating class was also the Class of 2020, who did not get a high school graduation or prom due to the pandemic.

Eric Titze, owner of Caffrey’s Pub and Marquette Alum of ’07, said before this year, nobody had to “put on” Senior Week, it just existed as the time between finals and graduation.

“It was a designated time where students could do whatever they wanted… hang out with friends, clean out of your apartment and finish your lease. Marquette always ran a bunch of these events to kind of fill it and be like ‘Hey, we’re going to do these fun things together,'” Titze said. “They would do a senior ball at some of the coolest venues in the city, like the Harley Museum, Art Museum and Potawatomi.”

All hope hasn’t been lost, as Titze took matters into his own hands and decided to plan events for the seniors for the week after graduation. He said he has been in communication with some seniors to organize events so everyone can participate.

In terms of what is planned so far, Titze said his business has taken the lead on sending cruises out in the river, partnering with companies such as Edelweiss and the Milwaukee Brewers for a traditional tailgate. He said there are two cruises booked, and a noon tailgate planned for the Wednesday home Brewers game.

Last year, right after graduation Marquette announced that Commencement Weekend will be held immediately after exams, for students to start their post-graduation degree plans sooner in alignment with other universities.

“Shifting the undergraduate and Graduate School Commencement date in this way brings Marquette into alignment with other local universities and many schools within the Jesuit network that do not have a week between the end of finals and Commencement,” Provost Kimo Ah Yun said.

Dani Murillo, a senior in the College of Nursing, said she is trying to make the most of her last few weeks before she begins her nursing job after graduation. She said her and her friends are staying a week after graduation to attend the Brewer’s game and house parties.

“I loved my Marquette experience, but I was expecting Senior Week to make it even better. It was very disappointing because it’s such an anticipated senior event,” Murillo said.

In terms of Marquette making this decision, Titze said they [Marquette] didn’t ask the right questions when considering the community. He said when Marquette announced last year that they were getting rid of the Senior Week time period, there was a lot of people really disappointed.

“There’s nobody that I can think of that would have said, ‘Oh yeah, it’s not that big of a deal.’ Anyone that’s been at Marquette that’s gone through a Senior Week knows what it does for your opinion of the school,” Titze said. “Senior Week is probably the most admired Marquette tradition out there, like no other school ever did it.”

As a graduate of Marquette himself, Titze wanted to provide people the same opportunity to participate in these events. He said that even though the events will take place after graduation, it is important to carry on the tradition because the students deserve a true Senior Week.

“We want to drive those memories and drive those things that people really look back at when they finally do leave Milwaukee… and If it means that we can facilitate those even better, because then there is less planning that the seniors have to do, so they can just sign up and take part,” Titze said.

As far as what the future holds, Titze said it’s important to him to keep the tradition alive and continue this for Marquette seniors.

“Even being 15 years out of Marquette now, that Senior Week really remains as the last time all of my friends were together, so if we can offer that experience for people, I’d love to keep it going,” Titze said.

This story was written by Trinity Zapotocky. She can be reached at [email protected]