IWL study: ‘Milwaukee women in the workplace’

IWL conducts research to learn more about Women involvement in the business industry. Photo from IWL.

Marquette University’s Institute for Women’s Leadership conducted a study called “Milwaukee women in the workplace.” 

The study was conducted by IWL Director Jennie Webster, Carson Murray, graduate assistant, Kate Niemer, graphic designer and Sarah Camp, editor, all contributed to the report.

The study’s purpose was to understand how women engage and impact Milwaukee business and the community.

The study said that IWL’s mission is to create gender research and make experiences and relationships that will improve women’s leadership. The hope of the study is to lead in the research they do and make the work environment more equal and just.

The researchers said in the study that they hope to inspire faculty, staff and leaders in the community.

The study surveyed 1,590 participants which were 66% women, 34% men and 0.3% nonbinary.

They looked at 5 categories when conducting the research: Personal finance, experiences in the workplace, retention, people and systems in the workplace and participation in the community.

Participants were polled into categories of men, white women, Black women, Latinas and Asian women. The polling found that women in minority groups felt like they were less likely to feel like they could be their authentic selves in the workplace.

The study found that more women said they felt some sort of mental health challenges, had a hard time finding a good work-life balance and felt more burnout compared to the men surveyed.

Ninety-three percent of men felt like they had a mentor at their job that advocates for them, while 72% of women felt that way.

“Those who had a supervisor who included people with diverse opinions and insights in decision-making were 26% more likely to report that they were looking for a new job,” the study said.

The study also found that people who had a supervisor that cultivated a feeling of belonging were 37% less likely to say they were looking for a new job.

The study also found that people who participate in activities where they live were more than twice as likely to say that Milwaukee is a desirable place to be employed and live. This was found to be the same for people who are “socially tied” to the community.

Forty-eight percent of women said they are currently searching for new employment, while 35% of men said this.

The participants were polled on why they are considering leaving their job, and the highest majority of men, 23%, said the reason was due to a lack of work-life balance. The highest majority of women at 18% said they are leaving because the pay wasn’t high enough.

The study issued nine recommendations based on their findings: improve health and well-being, address work-life balance, equal pay and equal work and making that known to employees, get rid of non-inclusive workplace behaviors, psychological safety, provide women with sponsors and mentors, develop more inclusive members, advertise women professional organizations and encourage social ties in Milwaukee communities.

“Businesses organizations, women professional groups, and community leaders all play a role in improving the lives of women in ways that drive the region forward,” the study said.

This story was written by Sophia Tiedge. She can be reached at [email protected].