Spring Sleepover: Naturals celebrate end of year

Photo by Keifer Russell
The Naturals wore pajamas during the first act of their concert that was slumber party themed.

On April 21, The Naturals, an all-male student-led a cappella group, held their spring concert in Weasler Auditorium. For this performance, The Naturals had prepared a nine song set-list that was meant to showcase talents they had spent all semester sharpening.

From Billie Eilish to Andy Grammar, The Naturals put on differing musical performances for an audience comprised of family, friends and alumni. The concert was split up into two separate acts, the first one being attributed with a “slumber party theme” where singers wore pajamas, and the second being a direct contrast with performers dressing in blazers and button downs while donning their signature blue and gold bowties.

This specific concert was a special one for two senior singers; David Chrisbaum, College of Health Sciences, and Isaac Peterson, College of Education, as it was their last show. Thunderous applause alongside sentimental tears came soon after Chrisbaum and Peterson performed their respective “senior solos” where they were the sole vocalists for songs of their choice. And, after gathering for post-concert pictures and sharing embraces with other Naturals, they recounted how surreal it was that their time with the group was coming to a close.

“It’s a good ending to a very amazing four years,” Chrisbaum said.

Peterson said he thought the concert went well because they were able to play off the audience. He said that he always tries to account for the crowd as much as possible, ensuring that they come out of the concert with a great experience.

“Even if we don’t sound good, if the audience is into it, I believe the concert went well,” Peterson said.

Chrisbaum and Peterson both said that because a cappella can be a combination song and dance, it requires a lot of practice to get routines exactly right. Chrisbaum said this semester the team spent three days a week practicing choreography, harmonies and song lyrics to adequately prepare for their performance.

“We would stay late if we had to, if we weren’t getting a certain part … that’s eight songs that we had to memorize, there was [choreography] for three of them, and getting the harmonies correct is super difficult. So, putting in all that time is totally worth it,” Chrisbaum said.

Chrisbaum said that a cappella can be very physically draining because it involves going to vocal extremes while also performing rehearsed dance routines. He said that this is because there are mental and physical aspects of performing on-stage, which include song memorization as well as being choreographically in sync with the other performers.

“It not only works your physicality, but also your mentality and your intellect. It’s really draining, but it’s like any workout. You just get better from it,” Chrisbaum said.

Through frequent practice and tight-knit friendships, The Naturals are very close with one another. Both Peterson and Chrisbaum agreed this aspect of their group is foundational to having a good performance. Peterson said that if singers are having fun, then the music will soon follow, and that groups won’t get anywhere without a certain camaraderie amongst themselves.

“Music is organic, there’s no reason to force it. And, when you’re having fun, and when you’re enjoying what you’re doing, it becomes something beautiful,” Chrisbaum said.

Chrisbaum and Peterson noted that the most emotional part of their night was performing their solos for the audience. They said The Naturals has been such a big part of their time at Marquette, and that they were sharing the stage with some of their closest friends, so saying goodbye wasn’t easy.

“Every single year you see seniors doing their senior song, and it always means a lot to them. You never really think you’re going to get there, but we’re here, it’s over. It was a great experience,” Peterson said.

This story was written by George Kane. He can be reached at [email protected].