Gym and Rec center COVID-19 Protocols

Masks are still required in all indoor recreation spaces. The pool is the only exception

Last year, due to the COVID pandemic the rec center facilities was limited to reduce the amount of human activity. This year although restrictions are still in place students can use the center to a higher functions to allow more people to enter at a time.

Upon entering the Rec Center, students are asked to present their daily COVID Cheq along with their student IDs.

Students are asked to keep their masks on at all times, in accordance to the mask regulation around campus. In the weight room, there are monitors who ensure that everyone is wearing masks.

Students can rent out any equipment they would like and are asked to return them when they are done using them. Upon returning the items used, students working the equipment closet are instructed to wipe down and sanitize the equipment to make sure it is safe to use for the next student.

In the weight room, students are asked to use the spray bottles included on the walls and sanitize their area after using the equipment. Next to the spray bottles are paper towel dispensers as well as trash cans where they can safely dispose of their used towels.

Anne Bruce, a senior in the College of Nursing, works in the weight room and makes sure that rules are maintained. “We try to make sure that all students are wearing their masks and if they aren’t we request for them to pull them up.”

Although the machines aren’t socially distanced, workers like Bruce are trying to make sure that the rules are followed and everything is sanitized.

“We are working on a system where we wash the machines. So even though other people are wiping the machines down, we also go around and do it too,” Bruce said.

Ryan Lascano, a junior in the College of Health Sciences, frequents the gym and said he was happy to have the rec center back.

“It’s nice to have the center open again. [Last year] We used to have the pods so it wasn’t as efficient having to sign up for a time that was only for 30 minutes, especially since I spend an hour and a half at the gym,” Lascano said.

Lascano said he is disappointed with the mask mandate, but understands that it is for the safety of the Marquette community. 

“Obviously it is not ideal, when I work out at my home gym you don’t have to wear a mask, but I do understand their protocol … I’m wearing mine to protect everybody else,”  Lascano said.

Caroline Kennedy, a junior in the College of Nursing, works on at the front desk of the Rec Center and said that things have changed, since last year.

“Last year there a little more cleaning because there was a lot more COVID happening. So I once a shift, every two hours, everything was being cleaned … it’s still being done now but only twice a day,” Kennedy said.

But she still encourages students to come down and check it all out.

“It’s got a lot of options of stuff to do, the treadmills, the courts, racquetball and stuff” Kennedy said.

The courts for both basketball and tennis are available for students as well. Students can be found participating in pick-up games and participating in the facilities that were restricted from them from last year.

Lascano is excited to have the courts open as well. “It is nice to ball up with people again and run games. That’s definitely what I like,” Lascano said.

The pool is also available for students to use and masks are not required while swimming. Lifeguards on duty wear their masks in accordance with the mandate.

“Everyone is happy to be back” Bruce said.

This story was written by Connor Baldwin. He can be reached at [email protected]