Faster, easier to use Wi-Fi reconfigurations coming to campus ahead of fall semester

After years of requests from students, various reconfigurations to campus WiFi networks will become effective on Tuesday, July 31. The changes will include three new networks, which will now accommodate the guest login and students bringing devices that require a device ID, like gaming systems and Smart TVs.  
Marquette Wire stockphoto.
After years of requests from students, various reconfigurations to campus WiFi networks will become effective on Tuesday, July 31. The changes will include three new networks, which will now accommodate the guest login and students bringing devices that require a device ID, like gaming systems and Smart TVs.   Marquette Wire stockphoto.

After years of requests from students, various reconfigurations to campus Wi-Fi networks will become effective on Tuesday, July 31. The changes will include three new networks, which will now accommodate the guest login and students bringing devices that require a device ID, like gaming systems and Smart TVs.  

“Students will see a more streamlined wireless experience,” Mary Simmons, senior director of university IT Services, said in an email. “They will need to log in once and not have to log in again unless they get a new laptop, phone, etc. (sic) (or other device.)”

She added that the wireless connection that students will be using is a secure connection. The three networks, MU Secure (for all students, faculty and staff on campus,) MU Guest (for guests visiting) and MU Open will be available.  

In a statement from Chris Jenkins, associate director of university communication, the new configuration will be easier to connect to, more flexible and offer easier guest access.  

“One of the main changes will be a new wireless network that will allow access to gaming systems, Smart TVs, media players and other smart devices.  Guests will be able to self register via their email or Facebook account rather than having to go through a sponsor or Help Desk.”

Additional instructions to log in and connect to these three networks will be released the same day through a campus NewsBrief, Twitter and paper instructions distributed on campus.