Women’s lacrosse continues stellar start to BIG EAST after beating Vanderbilt

Photo by Isaiah Gencuski
Grace Gabriel scored two goals and added an assist in Marquette’s 13-11 win over Vanderbilt.

The women’s lacrosse team made program history Sunday afternoon, going 5-0 in the BIG EAST for the first time after a 13-11 win over Vanderbilt.

With the win, the Golden Eagles (9-4, 5-0 BIG EAST) kept their BIG EAST Tournament hopes alive. Marquette has never made the tournament in its five year history.

“This is huge, this is exactly what our goal was and to come out and be the best we could be,” said head coach Meredith Black. “5-0 is where we need to be to control our own destiny.”

The Golden Eagles quickly got on the board with a free position goal from junior attack Cate Soccodato initiating a 3-0 run. Junior midfielder Logan Dobratz and senior attack Riley Hill each scored unassisted on the run.

Vanderbilt (7-5, 2-2 BIG EAST) answered a minute later with a free position shot from Emily Matthewson. The free position goal sparked a Commodores 5-0 run, making it 5-3 and Vanderbilt headed into the break with an 8-7 lead.

“When were aggressive to goal, we create opportunities regardless of you know what the numbers are,” Black said.

Marquette started the second half on a 5-0 run while holding the Commodores scoreless for nearly 20 minutes and would lead 12-8 by the end of the run. Senior midfielder Allison Lane scored two of her three goals on the day during the stretch.

Vanderbilt’s Elizabeth Scarrone finally ended Marquette’s run with an unassisted goal. Scarrone’s goal ignited a 3-0 Commodore run with 6:16 left in the half, making it 12-11. However, minutes later Lane sealed the win with her third goal of the day off of a feed from senior attack Riley Hill with 3:22 remaining.

“Every day at practice we say play for May,” Lane said, referencing the BIG EAST Tournament. “This was just another stepping stone to get to play for May.”

The Marquette defense was anchored by goalie Julianna Horning who made eight saves on the day.

The Golden Eagles will travel to Gainesville, Florida to take on No.7 Florida, Saturday at 11 a.m. CT.