Marquette ties Providence to get crucial point

Photo by Helen Dudley
Jason Davis scored his first career goal against Providence on Saturday in the 64th minute to tie the game for Marquette. The match ended in a 2-2 draw.

During Friday’s practice, head coach Louis Bennett told his team that regardless of the result, Saturday’s match against Providence would be “a game of consequences.”

It was exactly that, as Marquette got a crucial point against BIG EAST preseason favorite Providence Saturday afternoon, tying the Friars 2-2.

For the first time in two games, the Golden Eagles didn’t give up a goal in the first ten minutes of the match. But that didn’t mean Marquette was out of the woods. The Friars scored in the 18th minute of the transition. Alex Vigliotti dribbled down the right flank and crossed a ball to the feet of Danny Griffin, who placed it past Luis Barraza.

Marquette (1-8-1, 1-2-1) created chances after the goal including Brendan Skinner’s header cleared off the line. Marquette had its own guardian angel, as Jack Alberts cleared a would-be second goal off the line for Providence.

Heading into the locker room down 1-0, Bennett knew what they had to do to get a result.

“We gave up a goal, and we could have gone one of two ways,” Bennett said. “We went the positive route instead of the doom-and-gloom and concede another goal.”

There was no bigger influence on the afternoon than forward Jason Davis. His first career goal in the 64th minute equalized the game and put Marquette on the front foot.

Eight minutes later in the 72nd minute, it was Brendan Skinner who redeemed himself. Luka Prpa served in a beautiful ball on a corner that Skinner promptly tapped in, giving Marquette the lead.

The skies opened up with 15 minutes to go, and a steady, cold rain would remain for the rest of the match and would play a crucial part in determining the result.

But with 10 minutes to go, Providence equalized with a highly controversial goal. Steffen Bohm made a sliding challenge on Providence captain Mac Steeves inside the box. Bohm very clearly won the ball, but in the process that followed, Bohm’s foot caught Steeves’ ankle, and he went down. The referee pointed straight to the spot and awarded the penalty. Steeves converted, knotting the game at two.

With five minutes to go in the match, Marquette created plenty of chances, but could not find the winner, as Jason Davis had a volley with a wide open net, but his shot went a few feet over the bar.

The game went to overtime where neither team created sizable chances, and it would finish honors even at two.

“Considering everything that went into this match, with the rain and the (penalty) call, I think there are guys in the locker room who are pleased,” Bennett said. “There were a lot of young men who worked hard and smart to win a hard-earned point.”

Midfielder Brody Kraussel was also pleased with the result.

“Any point we can pick up is huge,” he said. “This point could be vital as we want to get back to the BIG EAST Tournament, and it starts with one game at a time and I think that this certainly puts us in the right direction going forward.”

The Golden Eagles will have a week off to prepare for an away trip to New York City, where they will face St. John’s.