Henry poised to join exclusive club of Marquette goalkeepers

Playing goalkeeper for Marquette women’s soccer is a distinct privilege. There have been just three regular starters in the Golden Eagles’ net over the past 11 years. Freshman keeper Maddy Henry is set to join that exclusive club.

Marquette’s practice of starting goalkeepers for the entirety of their careers started back in 2005, when sophomore Laura Boyer came over from Iowa State to win the job. Boyer started her first game with Marquette and never relinquished the job.

Natalie Kulla took over in 2008, starting for four complete years. Then in 2012, it was Amanda Engel’s turn.

After playing every minute of Marquette’s first eight games, Henry looks poised to carry on the torch.

“I kind of love it. I think it’s awesome. Carrying on a tradition, hopefully, is exciting,” Henry said. “That (tradition) goes along with Marquette well.”

However, the Omaha native wasn’t just handed the job. Sophomore Sloane Carlson offered competition after making three appearances backing up Engel the season before. Henry saw the battle for the job as a chance to shine.

“I just kept my blinders on,” Henry said. “I knew there would be competition and I’d like to think I thrive in competition. So it was exciting for me.”

Head coach Markus Roeders agreed with that sentiment.

“She definitely has the goalkeeping talent,” Roeders said. “She has the athletic abilities. She reads the game really well.”

He didn’t have any doubts about her experience either, despite her freshman status.

“She also has the experience from years past, club soccer, high school soccer, regional ODP,” Roeders said. “She’s kind of knocked on the door of some youth national teams.”

Henry’s pre-Marquette resume included a number of noteworthy moments. Her big game experience includes a Nebraska state title in 2013 – when she was just a sophomore – and state titles with the Omaha Football Club each of the past five seasons.

Perhaps the biggest game of Henry’s career was last Sunday though, during the Golden Eagles’ West Coast road trip. She earned her sixth consecutive start in a contest against the No. 2/1 team in the country.

Stanford lived up to the hype, launching 31 shots at Henry’s net on their way to a 3-0 victory. As a goalkeeper, days like that can be incredibly frustrating, but Henry was positive about the experience.

“It was definitely one of the more challenging games I’ve ever played in, just because of how many shots they had,” Henry said. “But it was, I don’t want to say fun, but it was a mental challenge.”

Henry set a career high for saves a week later, when Marquette faced off with undefeated No. 24 Northwestern. She made eight saves in a narrow 1-0 loss, a number of which were highlight reel worthy.

It’s no coincidence that Henry arrived just in time to take over for Engel.

“Obviously we kind of knew our situation with Amanda Engel being a four-year starter,” Roeders said. “We knew and we had obviously seen what we had in Maddy. We felt comfortable enough for her to step in and take this role.”

Perhaps something else that made Roeders comfortable rolling with yet another freshman in the net is his group of veteran defenders. Directly in front of Henry are centerbacks Erin Holland and Madison Dunker.

They’re all three incredible, incredible players, so playing with them is a dream come true.

Holland, a senior, started 16 games as a sophomore and a junior, making her one of the most seasoned players on the roster. Dunker started 16 games last year as a sophomore, moving all around the defense.

Just ahead of those two is senior Morgan Proffitt, one of the best defensive midfielders in the nation. Her defensive prowess in the midfield along with the abilities of Dunker and Holland helps shield Henry.

The freshman is highly aware of her great fortune in playing behind that practiced, talented group.

“Coming in as a freshman, it’s nice to have experienced players in front of me,” Henry said. “They’re all three incredible, incredible players, so playing with them is a dream come true.”

At 2-4-2, the Golden Eagles have come out of the gates a bit slower than they expected to this year, but their schedule has been loaded with talented teams and trick road trips. Despite this, Roeders feels good about his young goalkeeper.

“We’re really happy with her and I think she’s moving along really nicely as a freshman goalkeeper at a really high level.”