The Districts headline MU Radio concert

Photo by Photo courtesy of Ryan Farber

Marquette Radio will host its spring concert live at the Union Sports Annex this Saturday, April 23 at 7:30 p.m. The Districts, an indie rock band from Lititz, Pennsylvania, will be the main act following local Milwaukee band Eye & i. The concert is free.

The Districts’ lead singer and guitar player Rob Grote and drummer Braden Lawrence, along with bass player Connor Jacobus, formed the group while still attending high school in 2009. Pat Cassidy later joined the band to replace the college-bound former guitarist Mark Larson. The band didn’t have a name when it gave its first performance.

“We had a list and we picked one for the night and it just stuck,” Grote said. “All three of us grew up together and we were drawn to playing music.”

The Districts initially got by playing classic rock covers and having fun. The group released two EPs, extended plays, and a full album from 2011 to 2012. In 2013, they signed with Fat Possum Records and recently relocated to Philadelphia to continue working with them. They currently have two albums and three EPs.

The band’s deep bass and steady rhythm give a Nirvana-esque sound to its music. They channel an early ’90s indie folk rock sound into performances of songs “Lyla” and “Young Blood.” Another aspect to their music is their folky, upbeat songs like “Funeral Beds” and “6 am.”

This will be the group’s second time performing in Milwaukee.

Grote said travelling and meeting new people are some of perks of touring.

The band’s favorite places that they have performed at are Tokyo, Berlin and New Orleans. Although this is only the third college venue where The Districts have performed, they said they definitely feel the difference from a normal concert setting.

“It’s a lot less formal and the crowd has a different feel to it,” Lawrence said.

This will be the start of The Districts’ tour across the country and they said they are excited to get back to performing. The band and their manager have been working with Marquette Radio to put together this upcoming concert. They’ve only collaborated with radio stations a few times previously. Examples include WXTN radio in Benton, Mississippi, and WKDU, Drexel University’s radio station.