Trump does last-minute campaigning at Pabst Theater

Presidential candidate Donald Trump spoke with Sean Hannity, Fox News radio personality, at the Pabst Theater Monday as a last-minute attempt to gain Wisconsin GOP support before today’s primary election.

Photo by Yue Yin /yue.yin@mu.edu

Trump spoke about his campaign manager’s simple battery charge, the second amendment and job creation. His wife, Melania, stood by his side and said she wished her husband was more “presidential” and thinks his retweets get him in trouble.

Trump was most recently criticized for not firing his campaign manager Corey Lewandowski after he grabbed a reporter at a press event in Florida. Trump said the incident was taped and the reporter’s account of the event was inaccurate.

“Maybe I should have filed charges against her,” Trump said about the reporter involved.

This elicited some cheers from the crowd. Audience participation was encouraged, and many people asked about Trump’s stance on the right to bear arms. He said he fully supports the second amendment and will protect it if elected.

“You know they have been chipping away at the second amendment,” Trump said.

Job creation was another topic discussed. Trump said the U.S. is losing many companies to Mexico and China.

“We have to bring jobs back and stop them from leaving,” Trump said. “We’re heading for a massive recession if I’m not elected.”

When asked what he learned about politics from the election, Trump discussed his experience with media.

“I’ve learned there is tremendous dishonesty in the media,” Trump said. “They cover me so inaccurately.” Trump has refused to show at certain presidential debates depending on what news outlet was hosting them.

Potential 5th district delegate Mark Kelly said he is not surprised that Trump’s main opponent, Ted Cruz (R-Texas,) is leading in the polls.

“Some Republicans are confused who to vote for,” Kelly said. “They default to the most conservative candidate, which is Cruz.”

Kelly said he also thinks many Wisconsin conservatives were not pleased with the critical comments Trump made about Gov. Scott Walker at an event in Janesville. However, members of the audience seemed to be avid Trump supporters.

Hannity asked Trump if he was worried about the Republican party possibly selecting another candidate for the presidential ballot even if Trump wins the popular vote. Before Trump had the opportunity to respond, the audience chanted, “No Trump, no vote.”

Brookfield resident Mark Flaherty said he enjoyed the interview because it let voters get to know Trump on a more personal level.

“I thought bringing his wife out was a nice touch,” he said. “It humanized him a bit more.”

Although many criticize Trump for his blunt nature, it is a quality many of his supporters admire.

“(Trump) controls the conversation,” Milwaukee resident Nick Sannes said. “People give him a hard time, but he gives it right back.”

Rebecca Carballo, Managing Editor of the Marquette Tribune

Rebecca is the managing editor of the Marquette Tribune as well as a senior majoring in journalism with a minor in political science. She has interned with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Neighborhood News Service and WISN 12.